No fatty, no diploma for you

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Buzz Killington, Nov 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington nunc fortunatus sum

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20091120/D9C3GV502.html

[FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif]Pa. university students upset about fitness class[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif][​IMG][FONT=Verdana,Sans-Serif]Email this Story[/FONT]Nov 20, 4:52 PM (ET)

By KATHY MATHESON
    [FONT=Verdana,Sans-Serif,Arial][/FONT]

PHILADELPHIA (AP) - A Pennsylvania university's requirement that overweight undergraduates take a fitness course to receive their degrees has raised the hackles of students and the eyebrows of health and legal experts.

Officials at historically black Lincoln University said Friday that the school is simply concerned about high rates of obesity and diabetes, especially in the African-American community.

"We know we're in the midst of an obesity epidemic," said James L. DeBoy, chairman of Lincoln's department of health, physical education and recreation. "We have an obligation to address this head on, knowing full well there's going to be some fallout."

The fallout began this week on Lincoln's campus about 45 miles southwest of Philadelphia, where seniors - the first class affected by the mandate - began realizing their last chance to take the class would be this spring.

Tiana Lawson, a 21-year-old senior, wrote in this week's edition of The Lincolnian, the student newspaper, that she "didn't come to Lincoln to be told that my weight is not in an acceptable range. I came here to get an education."

In an interview Friday, Lawson said she has no problem with getting healthy or losing weight. But she does have a problem with larger students being singled out.

"If Lincoln truly is concerned about everyone being healthy, then everyone should have to take this gym class, not just people who happen to be bigger," she said.

The mandate, which took effect for freshmen entering in fall 2006, requires students to get tested for their body mass index, a measure of weight to height.

A normal BMI is between 18.5 and 24.9. Students with one that's 30 or above - considered obese - are required to take a class called "Fitness for Life," which meets three hours a week.

The course involves walking, aerobics, weight training and other physical activities, as well as information on nutrition, stress and sleep, DeBoy said.
    As of this fall, DeBoy estimated about 80 seniors - 16 percent of the class - had not had their body mass index tested nor taken the fitness class. Some of those students will likely be exempt from taking the class once they get their BMI results, he said.

Health experts applaud the school's intent, if not its execution. Mark Rothstein, director of the bioethics institute at the University of Louisville's School of Medicine, said being forced to disclose such health information is "at least awkward and often distasteful."

And it doesn't necessarily lead to the best outcomes, he said, noting that "when the (health) goals are imposed on people, they don't do that well in meeting them."

DeBoy stressed that students are not required to lose weight or lower their BMI; they must only pass the class through attendance and participation.
    "It's the sound mind and the sound body concept," DeBoy said. "I think the university, to its credit, is trying to be proactive."

Some experts said recent amendments to the Americans with Disabilities Act might lead to exemptions for morbidly obese students, who could argue that participating in the class would be dangerous.

Also, students need more than exercise, said Marcia Costello, a registered dietitian in the Philadelphia area. The university should make sure its dining halls and vending machines offer healthy choices, she said.

Costello, an assistant professor of nursing at Villanova University, also noted that body mass index can be misleading. Since muscle weighs more than fat, "it is possible to be overweight and still be physically fit," she said.
    Lawson, a mass communications major, said while she believes her current BMI would exempt her from the class, she's going to take it anyway "because I would like to be healthier."

"This was a decision that I made," she wrote in The Lincolnian, "and that's the way it ought to be."

--- Lincoln University: http://www.lincoln.edu

Funny, but BMI is also fail. [/FONT]

2. Lukkie

Lukkie OT Supporter

yeah BMI is pretty fail but id hope theyd make exception for athletes and the like, or just use bodyfat% or something. pretty funny/cool overall though.

3. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

Where I work we are "self insured" and I'm pretty sure in the next 5 years we are going to start using BMI calculations and basing health insurance premiums on that. :(

4. Aspirin

Aspirin OT Supporter

that might not be the best measurement tool, but its def the right idea...same for smoking etc

5. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

They already do it for smokers and chewers.

6. Man Bear Pig

Man Bear Pig Banned

Good. Those are two behaviors which are known to increase the incidence of cancer. If you smoke, you are guaranteed to be sicker than the average joe and cost them more money.

7. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

I support that decision. :bigthumb:

8. Juan Valdez

Juan Valdez Finest Cofee in the world

"happens to be obese" that cracked me up

I just happen to eat 2x my caloric requirements for the day

9. Memor

Memor Active Member

This is awesome.

10. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

a hate fat people

11. posit

posit New Member

As a reforming fat ass I would have loved for my college to make me take a class to teach me about exercise and weight lifting. Even if the stuff the teach you isn't 100% accurate it is better then nothing at all. Maybe 1 or 2 students per class would take an interest and improve their health. Seems like a good trade off to me.

12. TZ

TZ Banned

I'm surprised these students are actually mad about it..the university is just concerned about their fucking well being :o

13. Man Bear Pig

Man Bear Pig Banned

People don't like being confronted with reality.

14. :rofl: I laughed at that too

15. grimstone

grimstone magic murda bag OT Supporter

it would be kinda funny to see a bodybuilder forced to take the class because of bmi. bmi treats all weight the same so muscle is viewed just as bad as fat LOL a great measurement to go by. if they really care about obesity stop serving soda and fast food on campus

16. smartypants

smartypants New Member

IB ACLU gets involved.

Fork and spoon operators will become a protected class

17. too much muscle can be unhealthy for you too, but you have to exceed your natural limit and most people won't have to ever worry about that.

18. Man Bear Pig

Man Bear Pig Banned

uh, how?

19. grimstone

grimstone magic murda bag OT Supporter

ya because to much muscle is really a problem. happens all the time sometimes people just dont know when to stop getting swoll

20. Frank Dux

Frank Dux Guest

kinda fucked up but funny

21. dmaestro

dmaestro New Member

22. miek

miek New Member

i agree with this sorta... you'd be surprised how much of the general population doesn't know a damn thing about nutrition. a basic nutrition/fitness course should be a requirement in the first year of all universities

forcing students over xx bmi to take it is retarded though.

23. it forces your heart to work a whole lot harder . Your body has natural limits on how much muscle you can put on for a reason.

24. TZ

TZ Banned

Steroids

25. Man Bear Pig

Man Bear Pig Banned

I was assuming we were talking about people not using anabolics.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.