No excuse for not having a good hard drive image these days

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Yep, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Yep

Yep Knick knack paddy whack, give the old dog a bone

It's scary how many people don't back up their data these days. Accidents waiting to happen.

With that being said the new version of DriveImage XML 1.17 is:

1) Free for private or public use, non-profit or for-profit.
    2) Able to image an entire hard partition to another hard drive, partition or over a network.
    3) Able to perform "hot" imaging using the MS Volume Shadow Service. People often scoff at this type of backup but I've had to restore countless times and my hot images have always worked without a hitch.
    4) Can split the image into just less than 700MB chunks.
    5) Do sector-by-sector or RAW backup. Sector-by-sector gives the best compression.
    6) Compress the image file to within about 10% that Norton GHOST can on its highest compression setting

There are only three things I wish it had:

1) The ability to control the size of the peices of an image that is split up. IE split a 2GB image into 250MB chunks or 500MB chunks.
    2) A boot CD to restore the image (can be accomplished using a BartPE cd though)
    3) The ability to restore a partition image to a partition that is smaller but big enough to hold the decompressed image. In other words, if you have 5GB of data on a 10GB partition the partition you restore the image to, must also be 10GB or larger. You can't restore a 5GB image to a 7GB partition.

Just thought I'd share as I always hear about people looking for a backup solution. This is about the best freeware one that I've found. I'm not affliated with the company either so yeah...
    www.runtime.org

2. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

cool, so it's like a free version of ghost? i love ghost

3. Yep

Yep Knick knack paddy whack, give the old dog a bone

Very close to it.

You can backup all your files while logged in to the computer. I wouldn't suggest making any huge changes while imaging though just to be safe. It's also pretty fast.

I think they're planning on eventually having a retail version. Though I think that would be stupid with heavy hitters like Norton and Acronis in the market.

4. EG6

EG6 OT Supporter

I think I'll give that program a try over the weekend when I get my new comp. Should save me a ton of hassle if I ever wanna revert back to the old image

5. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

I'll check it out as well... i've been looking for something like this... but most are too $$ for me.

6. EagerZeroedThick

EagerZeroedThick New Member

Acronis True Image ftw

7. marauder

marauder New Member

Yeah I have v8 found it very good this new v9 can't say I have heard it still has bugs, but v8 works find no need for me to move to v9.

8. psujeeperman02

psujeeperman02 "Hi Sal"

Wow, great program! Have been looking for something like this for awhile now:bigthumb: