No detailing for a long time for me

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by jjski78, Sep 6, 2009.

1. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

Well guys, I'm out of the game for a while. I was just released from the hospital yesterday afternoon after having a lumbar disc laminectomy. So I guess I'm out of the game for at least 6 months. This sucks because both of my rides need a serious detailing, but my back was in such bad shape I haven't been able to do anything for the past 3 months. Looks like I'm gonna have to rely on the touchless machine washes for a while.

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

I'd be out of work if I couldn't detail. :sad2:

3. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

Hope you feel better. I just had the same surgery on my L4/L5 about a month and a half ago. It was my second time having the surgery in 5 years. The good news is as much pain as you are in now, that shit heals much faster than you think it will. I wouldn't be surprised if you are back to detailing in two months.

4. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

That's why I'm glad it's currently a second job for me. I know how rough it must be for you guys that rely on it if you get hurt. I wouldn't worry if I were you though Scott. As broly as you are it would take a direct hit from a freight train to get you out of the game!! Once I retire from the USAF I plan on making it my full time job though. 10 more years, plenty of time to refine my skills and build a portfolio.

5. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

That's the exact disc I just had fixed. My L5/S1 was also ruptured, but when they got in there they noticed it was already healing itself so they left it alone. It wasn't near as bad as the L4/L5, they said the lump of jelly was the size of a golf ball crushing my sciatic nerve.

6. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

Mine actually ruptured this time and I get random shots of nerve pain out of no where. I'm just hoping that it heals with time because I should be doing much better by this point.

7. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

shit sucks son. hope you get to healing up

8. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Im an agent of chaos

AHahahaha great avatar OP!!!!

9. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

Hope you're feeling better soon!

10. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

Well I'm now starting to get the "phantom pain" the doctor warned me about. Pretty weird. It starts out with my whole leg going to sleep, then just my foot is tingling, then it feels like someone is driving fucking nails through my toes. WTF????

11. Scottwax

The surgeon warned me that the mesh they were using to repair my hernia gives some people a "duct tape" feeling when they twist but I've never had that problem. :dunno:

What you are describing would be just as unsettling as it feeling like duct tape stuck to my abdominal wall. Hope it subsides quickly. :hug:

12. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

Yeah jjski - that doesn't sound like fun at all. Hang in there Bro, I'm sure the ride isn't over yet.

13. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

Well, I'm making progress. 1.5 weeks after surgery I still can't sit in a chair, and standing still is a bitch, but I just managed to walk 1.5 miles and I feel awesome!! I'm gonna try to do 4.5 miles in the morning. If I can't do it, I'm just walking around my subdivision and there are plenty of cross streets to cut my walk short.

14. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

Progress is coming quick. I can sit in a chair for about 10 minutes, and can do pretty much anything except bend at the waist and lift anything over 10 Lbs. I can't believe it's healing this fast. May be able to start detailing again in a month!! I'll have to buy a stool so I don't have to bend though.

15. Scottwax

Glad to hear you are recovering quickly. You must be a fast healer like me. I was jogging 10 days after my hernia surgery and could bend at the waist and touch my knuckles to my toes at my two week follow-up.

16. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

And I'm now in the market for a road bike. Went and looked at Cannondales yesterday, and Trek and Specialized today. Oh decisions, decisions. Gotta buy one for me and one for the wife when she gets back from Iraq. She got a wild hair up her ass that she wants to do triathlons. So I told her I would train with her, but no way in hell I'm competing.