No Desktop Rights

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Kieffer87, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

At work we are removing users administrative privileges on computers and setting them as just users. This is working perfectly fine except for a handful of people.

The problem we are having is when we remove admin rights they are loosing their background image, their start menu changes from classic to standard, my computer, documents, etc disappear, and their icons lineup on the left if they were organized differently.

If they try and go in and change their background back it does not change but the funny thing is when they log off and log on it shows their background while its logging in and loading settings.

You can change the start menu back to classic but when you log off and back on it is changed back to the default.

I'm stumped as to what could be causing this on just a few select people. If you give them admin rights back again everything is fine.

CLIFFS: Remove admin rights, users can't change desktop/start menu properties. Give them back and everything is fine.

We are running win xp pro.

2. Yuppy

Yuppy Have a seat right there....

cliffs why the fuck would you let them near a pc if they cant use admin priv responsibly?

3. Kieffer87

Well I'm a student tech for a University. We manage ~700 computers. Keep in mind none of which are students. We supply to the administration and finance division, along with athletics and building services. I would say that we found roughly ~300 that had poker games, along with countless other game demos. It just seems here that the ones that know what they are doing on the computer abuse the privileges, then break something or it gets loaded up with crap and then we have to come fix it. The people that don't even know which domain they are supposed to be logging into after working here for 10 years tend to click on crap that loads up spyware, viruses etc.

Its a never ending battle, I agree it is a huge pain in the ass having to go out and install every piece of software for everyone. We are finally pushing out a majority of the software but in all honesty I think we go about alot of things the wrong way.

Trust me if I could make the rules things would be alot different.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

gpedit.msc

5. Kieffer87

Any idea what settings this may be? And why it would be fine with some users and different with others even though we push out the same GP to all users?

6. deusexaethera

Well, group policy applies to groups. If different users are members of different groups, then you'll have to manually coordinate the group policies.

7. Yuppy

Yuppy Have a seat right there....

what is wrong with poker @ the university? Everyone @ iowa did that when i was there.

its the idiots who get the spyware

You also could provide Flash drives for everyone, it would be cheaper than paying the man hours to fix the stuff and they could still have their demos /poker on there

8. Kieffer87

Well we don't do anything for students. I think if you are at work you should not be playing online poker you should be doing your work. That should be something you do on your own time not while you are being paid to do your job. If they want to bring in a flash drive and play a game on there fine but we arn't going to support it. Thats just my .02.

Both of my parents work at John Deere and I noticed that everyone is an admin there and they seem to have few problems. It just amazes me how quickly people we support can completely trash a computer to the point where it needs to be reimaged. IT's almost like we have to babysit them or else we are in for a world of trouble.

9. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

either that or microsoft steadystate

10. deusexaethera

What do they do if they finish their work, though? They can't just leave early. Why not play poker? It keeps the mind sharp.

11. Kieffer87

addictinggames.com :dunno: