*nix GURUS: Using ar command

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by rpark, Apr 26, 2005.

1. rpark

rpark New Member

Okay, this is one simple step of one of my comp sci classes that i cannot figure out.

So i wrote this library file called tman.c and used gcc to make it tman.o

now i have to use the ar command to make it into a library file called libtman.a

I have no clue how to use the ar command and the man pages are never helpful to me. Can someone explain how to make this a libtman.a?

On top of that, I'm kind of new to C but do you use the libtman.a as u would a normal header file?

Code:
    #include "libtman.a"
    will that suffice?

cliff:
    gotta make a file.o to a file.a using ar.
    then must use file.a to program.
    howto?

2. skinjob

skinjob Active Member

ar -r libtman.a tman.o

At least that's how it works on the version of linux I'm using.

You don't link to libraries by including the library file as a header. You need to specify the library as a command line option to the compiler or linker. But, you should have a header file that prototypes any functions you wish to export from the library.

So, the final compile step would look something like:

gcc -o myexe myprog.o -L . -l tman

This will create an executable file named myexe by linking together the myprog.o file (previously compiled from myprog.c, for example) and the libtman.a library. The -L specifies the library search path. It's telling the linker to look for libraries in the current directory ('.'). The -l specifies the library name. You don't give it the name of the library file, just the library name. The linker will look for a file named lib<library name>.a.

3. rpark

rpark New Member

THANKS! :bowdown: