nitpicking over new laptop ram choices

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by xinster, May 25, 2008.

1. xinster

xinster New Member

Got my shit checked out online, Im runnin everex stepnote xt5000

Each memory slot can hold DDR2 PC2-5300,DDR2 PC2-4200 with a maximum of 2GB per slot, 200 pin.

I got 1 free slot, 1 filled with 1 gig DDR PC2-5200 already.

here's 1 that was recommended 1GB, 200-pin SODIMM, DDR2 PC2-4200 memory module

This is what I'm looking at on newegg, sorting the shit out
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2000260381+1309121116

I want to get something that most importantly, works in my comp. But I heard that memory prices are really fuckin low (is this still true?) and I want a very good performing stick of ddr2.

So first things first, do I get a 2gb or a 1gb? Is there some benefits of like symmetry in getting a 1gb stick? I heard some shit about getting identical sticks or whatnot.

Last edited: May 25, 2008
  2. xinster

xinster New Member

my comp also does not support ecc

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

4. xinster

xinster New Member

i can run dual channel. So i guess i could just take out the current ram and put it in the shitty old desktop? I didn't want to waste my current 1gb of ram but if the benefit is so great i guess i will

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

laptop memory doesn't usually work in a desktop, except for a few special cases.

6. awns729

awns729 New Member

sell the current stick?

yeah, desktop ram is longer and DDR2 for desktops (i think) has more pins than laptop DDR2, or some shit. laptop ram won't fit in the desktop.

i've heard different stories on how worth it it is to run dual channel on a laptop. some people say it makes no difference, some people say its worth it. if it wasn't worth it, we probably wouldn't see it as often in laptops as we do. maybe someone knows better than i do, but i say go for dual channel if you don't mind the extra money.

if you don't have a 64 bit OS your computer won't recognize more than 3.x GB of ram, just keep that in mind. so you don't get teh absolute full benefit of 4gb.

check this out: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...1309121118+1309221136&name=DDR2+667+(PC2+5300)
    if you're looking for dual channel you wanna search for 2x2GB, not just two 2GB sticks. the ones that sell in the 2x2gb dual channel packages are modules supposedly tested to run together well. i would personally just go with the best rated/cheapest, which happens to tbe the first search result (g-skill)

7. xinster

xinster New Member

is 20 bux for a latency of 4 as opposed to 5 worth it? i mean, im runnin a geforce go 7600, and i use this laptop for internet and gaming, all i really want to do is switch the bottleneck from ram to something else. I've got dual core turion64 and 1gig of ram so i'm assuming ram is the big bottleneck.

8. xinster

xinster New Member

Like, since im running 32bit, and have 1 gig of ram, wouldnt it be more cost effective to buy a 2gb stick at 5400/5300? seeing as how i only have 1 slot open and still have a perfectly good stick o ram. I feel kind of dumb having 4gigs when i could only use 75% of that on this os

9. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

since it's a laptop, no.
    CAS4 vs CAS5,... you'll only notice the difference on memory intensive programs. and if by chance you do use such programs,... the difference is only small.

desktops, overclocking,... different story.

10. awns729

awns729 New Member

definitely, yeah
    with 2x2GB at the lowest CAS you can find, you'd have the best performance you could get.
    but its probably the most cost effective to jut buy a 2gb stick(cas 5) and call it a day. you'd still notice a good performance boost, it would not be much less than 2x2GB(cas 4)

11. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

depending on your mobo, using 2 sticks w/ different capacities (1GB and 2GB) can either:
    1) run in single-channel mode; or
    2) run in flex mode. (your 1GB stick and half of the 2GB stick will run in dual-channel mode. The rest of the 2GB stick is used in single-channel mode.)

using RAM with the same capacities will ensure everything is in dual-channel mode.

12. xinster

xinster New Member

13. xinster

xinster New Member

someoen said flex mode is not on any AMD at all

14. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

didn't notice you have amd :o
    it will run in asymmetric/single mode then.
    regardless,... dual-channel IS a mobo feature. check your mobo manual and see what it says.

single vs dual-channel performance?
    theoretically, the diff is huge. real world apps, not much.

15. xinster

xinster New Member

i can run dual, but i looked it up and everything points to real world- not much diff