Nissans that don't get enough attention

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by arro, Jul 19, 2004.

1. arro

arro Guest

Alot of you know what Silvias are, but you don't hear much about he S12 chassis.

The funny thing is, they could be had in a turbo hatch in the US market. The S13 could not. S12 can actually be tuned easier than S13 for more power with less $$$. The engine in the turbocar was a CA18ET (1.8L SOHC turbo T2). The nonturbo was a CA20E (2.0L nonturbo), but you can hybrid the two, get .5 more compression and .2 more displacement. There's a growing number of options for these cars, and what's more, they ALSO accept the following popular engine swaps: SR20DE/DET, CA18DE/DET, FJ20E/ET, even KA24E/DE if you wanted to go that route. And YES, these are RWD cars! They used the venerable R200 rear end, and share rear suspension with the Z31 300ZX and front suspension withthe 280ZX.

They are lighter than an S13. The closest competition for this car would probably be the AE85/86 cars. But you can get them cheaper than AE's, and you can get them already turbocharged.

[​IMG]

I own a 1985 200SX Turbo hatchback 5-speed:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    For more information, visit: http://www.club-s12.org

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2004
  2. Seeker

Seeker Brofessional OT Supporter

How about the Infiniti M30? That didn't get much attention either, but there weren't many sold here to begin with. Only a few thousand. It shares a chassis with the Z31 300ZX, so it's possible to mod one into a pretty nice street car.

3. Meekrob

Meekrob ANI-MAHRU !!!

i actually have a set a keys to a M30, they were in the car when I bought my Mazda :) just need to find the lucky m30 out there. Yeah and most of the so called "enthusiasts" really forget about the S12.

4. arro

arro Guest

LOL I had someone tell me it wasn't a Silvia. What a dumbass that guy was.

5. NiNe7-Gxe

NiNe7-Gxe New Member

hmm.. hows the weight with the s12, everything sounds good but are they ass heavy or nose heavy? i ask this because you said they were comparable to the ae86, this might be another option for me

6. datsunfreak

datsunfreak Guest

Those are definitely a neat, under-appreciated ride. Any idea on the curb weight?

7. JDM RICE

JDM RICE Off-Topic OG Lurker

given they dont get any attention, but why. S13's are so cheap you wouldn't wanna get an older and that much more cheaper car

8. solid snake

solid snake New Member

S13s are not cheap after ricer markup is taken into effect. Try finding one for under 1000. You have a better selection of stock engine choices with the s12 as well , if you dont want to mess with an engine swap. CA20E, VG30 and CA18-DET, if I remember correctly. Doh, and the NAPS-Z Z20E and Z22E as well.
    AE86 = 900kg, S12 = 1600kg is what I got from a listserv archive...

Last edited: Jul 22, 2004
  9. JDM RICE

JDM RICE Off-Topic OG Lurker

Cheap is anything <$2,000.

anythign under 1,000 is beat up, not running and probably with rust.

They are plenty of good used S13's out there, you just have to find the ones people dont know about.

KA motor has just as much potential with those motors

know your shit before you bash a car

and who the hell would want to put $10k+ into an S12

10. iZero

iZero Guest

I'll take a mint one with the factory V6.

11. iZero

iZero Guest

Too heavy, slushbox only.

12. Meekrob

Meekrob ANI-MAHRU !!!

I know the RB20 fits in the s13, what about the s12?

13. datsunfreak

datsunfreak Guest

900kg is 1984 pounds, no way an AE86 could be that light. And 1600kg is 3527 pounds, and I doubt the S12 is that heavy. Even with a factory VG30E... :naughty:

Also, not sure if you meant the Z20E/Z22E came in the S12 or could be swapped into it. FWIW, the Z20E/Z22E came in the US-spec S110 (80-83) models.

14. datsunfreak

datsunfreak Guest

Not without a Sawzall... :naughty:

15. datsunfreak

datsunfreak Guest

Well, it does share quite a bit in common with the 300ZX. :naughty:

16. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

why would you want MORE compression on a turbo equipped engine?

17. solid snake

solid snake New Member

I know what the fuck I'm talking about. You asked a question, I answered it. I'm sorry if you thought it was rhetorical and didn't expect a real answer. and I'm not going to get into an argument with you about the definition of cheap. A running, decent condition s12 can be found for under 1000. It's a cheap RWD turbo car.

Don't get bent out of shape, I have love for the S13 as well. Helped my friend put an SR into his a few years ago. I wasn't even talking shit and you got all defensive.

datsun freak : Yeah, I wasn't sure about the weights either, but I wasn't worried enough to dig around any further for it. And you're probably right bout the NAPS-Z engines being in earlier models, now that I think of it.
    btw, find me a 510 in texas, pls? heh.

18. Seeker

Seeker Brofessional OT Supporter

That's what I was thinking. Just do a VG30ET swap, and get the manual conversion done. :bigthumb:

19. datsunfreak

datsunfreak Guest

IIRC correctly stock compression is 8:1. Moving that up to 8.5:1 couldn't hurt, and would likely help with low-end torque a bit.

20. datsunfreak

datsunfreak Guest

The 80-83 200Sx makes a great 510 donor car. You can use the bigger front brakes, rear discs, bigger EFI engine, and 5spd. Not to mention the "other" goodies like the remote trunk release, gas door release, etc.

Mix one part 510 with one part 200SX. Makes one serving of bitchin' ride. :bigthumb:

Sorry. Savin' them all for myself. :naughty:

21. ae86andkp61

ae86andkp61 Guest

I've heard that Japanese Corollas are not much over 2000 pounds, depending on trim level.

American-market Corollas tend to be right around 2300 pounds stock. I've also heard that the Nissans have rear-suspension geometry issues, but I don't know exactly what the nature of the problem is. I doubt that American-market versions of the S12 are as much of a well-sorted performance car in stock form when compared to the Corolla GT-S, but could be an interesting base for some modifications.

22. zyg0te

zyg0te I've made a huge mistake.

interesting... we have a 200sx with that body style in our front yard... we never drive it...

its a slow automatic (I didnt know it was RWD). Anyways, when I look under the hood, there is 8 spark plug wires :dunno:

I'll try to get a vin number and run it on carfax to get the year of the car.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2004
  23. zyg0te

yea im curious so i went out at 2:00 at night to take vin# and pics.... carfax came up with

24. zyg0te

here's the pics...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the car really is in crappy condition... something that i would be suprised if sold for more then 500. I'm interested in what u have to say about this car tho arro

25. datsunfreak

datsunfreak Guest

All of the Z20E/Z22E's and CA20E's from 81-87 had 8 spark plugs. It's an emissions thing. The intake set fires normally, and the exhaust set fires just before the exhaust valve opens to make sure all the hydrocarbons are burned before exiting the engine. Works pretty good to... at keeping HC's down anyway... :)

Production date is on the small metal plate in the driver's door jamb. ;)