Nissan Truck Sales Stumble

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Vineyard311, Apr 12, 2004.

1. Vineyard311

Vineyard311 Wanna Race?

Nissan is struggling with disappointing sales for three models built at its 1-year-old plant in Canton, Miss.

Dealers are having trouble meeting sales projections for the full-sized Titan pickup and Armada SUV. And Nissan already has backed down from aggressive sales projections for its restyled Quest minivan launched last summer.

Nissan committed $1.4 billion to construct a multivehicle assembly plant in Canton to produce the Titan pickup, Quest minivan, Armada SUV and its QX56 Infiniti version, as well as the Altima sedan.

"More marketing is needed," says Jed Connelly, senior vice president for sales and marketing at Nissan North America Inc.

He says Nissan will begin a round of regional advertising for the Titan beginning this month and for the Armada in June.

Up - selectively

Overall, Nissan sales rose 32.8 percent through the first three months of the year compared with 2003. But its Altima sedan - in one of the United States' most competitive and low-margin segments - is carrying the weight.

Nissan launched its first full-sized pickup in December. It predicted sales of 100,000 Titans during its first full year on the market. The Armada went on sale in October with expectations of 40,000 sales in 2004.

In the first quarter, Nissan sold just 14,207 Titans and 7,633 Armadas. When Nissan introduced the Quest in July, executives predicted sales of 80,000 to 85,000 in 2004. But volume has been between 3,000 and 4,000 a month.

The Armada "has the right hardware and pricing, but the name Armada is new to the industry," Connelly says. "You can't overestimate the time it takes to seed a new name in the marketplace."

Swollen inventories

Meanwhile, inventory is piling up for the three Nissan trucks. The company had a 110-day supply of Armadas on April 1, a 97-day supply of Quests and a 95-day supply of Titans.

"We're ramping up on Titan," Connelly says. "Trucks are unlike cars. We like to run a 50-day supply of cars. But we found out days' supply of trucks need to be higher - about 75 days. That's because truck buyers like to see a lot more models."

Nissan says the lower-than-expected factory volumes are not a problem. Canton's total capacity of 400,000 vehicles a year is divided among five products and two brands. Workers there can move from one product to another.

Production of the Quest and Altima are expected to total 250,000 units a year. That leaves 150,000 units of annual production for the three big body-on-frame trucks.

After the launch, Nissan heavily advertised both the Titan and Armada for several weeks, then pulled back.

But the Titan faces powerfully entrenched competition. It is up against the redesigned Ford F series as well as the Chevrolet Silverado, GMC Sierra and Dodge Ram. And Toyota will be in the market soon with a successor to its Tundra full-sized pickup. The Armada competes against the Ford Expedition.

Must be a subscriber to view original article

http://www.autonews.com/article.cms?articleId=47903

2. nucl3ar

nucl3ar Guest

:rofl:
    So much for huge sales when they first came out eh Nissan sackriders?

3. RedVVing19

RedVVing19 Steve Yzerman > Hockey

rednecks like domestics, it doesnt matter how good you make the nissan truck, they'll still buy ford and chevy

4. Vineyard311

Vineyard311 Wanna Race?

And ignorant people will always say that imports have higher quality than domestics

5. Omega366i

Omega366i We Riding Dirty

damm blind rednecks

6. RedVVing19

im not a nissan sack rider, sorry if you inferred that from my statement

i like subaru

7. Josepi

Josepi HA HA, I CHANGED MY AV

"Imports" are made in the US for the most part..."Domestics" are made in Mexico for the most part.

Lets see...

8. nucl3ar

nucl3ar Guest

According to this statement, one would assume you think the Nissan is better. If this is true, why do you think so?

9. mucky

mucky .

2004 YTD Sales number ending March 31 Ford
    Ford F-series: 209,021
    Chevy Silverado-C/K Pickup: 147,337
    Dodge Ram: 102,845
    GMC Sierra: 43,771
    Toyota Tundra: 36,886

Nissan Titan: 14,207 :mamoru:

10. Vineyard311

Vineyard311 Wanna Race?

hisxlnc defense is that if Nissan wanted to build a diesal, it would easily beat all domestic diesels. :bowdown: Nissan

11. Captain Haddock

Captain Haddock Blistering Barnacles OT Supporter

12. BLoG

BLoG Scented Meat

The Ford F-150 is the better truck. The titan was a nice effort for nissan's first try, but they can't beat the king.

13. BLoG

BLoG Scented Meat

I see more armadas and that huge ugly infiniti SUV than Titans. :mamoru: What a joke.

14. mucky

mucky .

Nissan projected Titan to sell 100,000 in its initial model year. With averaging about 5,000/m so far, looks like Nissan over-estimated. :mamoru:

15. RedVVing19

yea, i know it seemed that way, but the ford f150 is the best truck out there, hands down.

16. nucl3ar

nucl3ar Guest

Too bad if Nissan used a diesel, it would come from Isuzu (GM). :mamoru:

17. crackaboy

crackaboy Guest

Ram > * truck

Can't touch the bulldog grill combined with the Hemi (r) and the Cummins :o

18. RedVVing19

BTW, i live in the largest wheat producing area in the world, the palouse, and most people around here own/drive trucks all of the time.

i dont think ive seen but 1 nissan truck driving around

19. 330R

330R New Member

i'm thinking that they wanted to start off by producing what they believed would be the most popular model.. a V8 king or crew, standard bed truck. after some sales and to gauge what demand there was for other options (regular cab, V6 model, etc), then they could expand their model range.

Ford, GM, and Dodge have been entrenched in the fullsize pickup segment for a loooong time. Nissan is just starting.. and they're not doing so hot, but I doubt it's because they're selling trucks with the wrong config. i think sales would be worse if they only offered regular cab and a V6.

20. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

The Titan is a dang nice truck.. the problem is it looks small in pictures, but its a full size roomy truck

21. RedVVing19

Dodge is the only Domestic car company i hate

but the ram (with a cummins) is the best truck. If it is not a cummins it sucks.

22. rumpy

rumpy I am of two minds...literally OT Supporter

If you feel this way you obviously don't work in construction, you're an idiot if you want to compare full size Chevys and Fords to the Titan for actual work. Have you seen any new Titans pulling a backhoe with a bed full of top soil or stone.?

23. RedVVing19

Fuck, i dont like Trucks, i just live in an area that is all rednecks. In fact i could care less which is better blah blah blah.

and like i said all the famers and laborers drive ford, chevy and dodge

24. BLoG

BLoG Scented Meat

What's funny is ford isn't even selling the new f-150 with a v6 or a regular cab yet, and they are still crushing everyone :mamoru:

25. 330R

330R New Member

is nissan's V8 in the titan closer to Dodge's smaller V8 or larger V8? what about sales of Dodge's extended cab (not quad) with smaller V8?

actually i don't know if Dodge still offers an extended cab Ram anymore, i'm not following too closely.