Nissan puts pop-up hood on Nissan Skyline

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Ronin, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Ronin

Ronin Guest

8/2/07
    Nissan's Skyline coupe, sold in North America as the Infiniti G37, will come with a pop-up hood designed to improve pedestrian safety when it goes on sale in Japan this fall. As pedestrian safety becomes a bigger and bigger issue thanks to increased standards in congested Europe and Asia, carmakers are forced to consider safety from more angles.

The hood pops up about 3 inches from the rear in order to create a less aggressive slope to the front end and to create a buffer between the hood and the engine. This should limit head injuries, according to Nissan. The automaker also expects the technology to spread to the rest of its car line in short order. It's not known whether the G37 will include the technology.

[​IMG]

2. nwmrkt

nwmrkt New Member

weird

3. LA02MAX

LA02MAX New Member

Well does it pop back down? What if something flies off a truck or something on the interstate and hits your car, and the hood pops up? Can it return perfectly to its original position?

4. Ronin

Ronin Guest

it will actually launch debris off your car like a spring loaded catapault then the car laughs menacingly

5. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

I liked the old pop-up hoods better, before they perfected it. Or the bumpers that shot out from the car...hehe those were so cool. Probably break your knee caps.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

how much impact is required to pop the hood? Is it mechanical or electrical? Could I kick your front end and pop your hood?

7. Cock Diesel

Cock Diesel New Member

How much does it cost to fix it all back after the hood pops?

8. We can only hope.

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

'cause that would be badass. amiright?

10. dew

dew Banned

i need one of those so i can hit people :bowdown:

11. project15

project15 New Member

Well, it's only 3 inches so I think you can still see over it. But another question would be does it lower back down with the pedestrian's body to absorb some of the impact? Or is it just raised three inches so the pedestrian has less distance to travel until impact?

12. LA02MAX

LA02MAX New Member

Well I was just wondering if it would be the same after it popped without having to get it repaired...

And the point is to provide a better angle for impact moreso than the total distance a pedestrian would fall...

13. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

My guess is it's a spring-loaded latch that disengages when the hood slides backwards about an inch or so. Considering that nobody can kick something hard enough to break their own leg in the process, I'm guessing there's a safe medium between pops-up-when-kicked vs. doesn't-pop-up-even-when-needed.