Nissan Frontier?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Geezle, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Geezle

Geezle Sweetness :love:

So what does OT think about the Nissan Frontier?

I'm in the market for a truck that's not *too* expensive to buy brand new, and has enough snot to pull a 16' enclosed trailer. From the research that I've done the Frontier seems to be within my budget and looks to have enough power for my needs, but I'm looking to hear what you guys have to say about it...particularly anybody who owns one.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

The Frontier is the best compact truck on the market. The ranger and dakota are both shit. The tacoma is loved by the sack-riders but if you actually use braincells to compare them it's no match for the frontier.

However, I would not use any compact/midsize for regular towing.

That said I would tell you to look at a GMC Sierra for approx $25k new. Or a F150 for the same.

3. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

Rangers are shit? :rolleyes:

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

well I'm sure in the 80's it was fine but it doesn't hold a candle to the competition, today.

For the "current-gen" models:

Frontier > tacoma > dakota > ranger.

for the "last-gen" models:

tacoma > frontier > dakota > ranger.

5. Geezle

I wouldn't be doing a lot of towing with it...I'd need to tow with it maybe once every two weeks on average, and normally only for a few blocks.

Where I am anyway, an extended cab 4x4 Sierra is getting out of my budget, and the extended cab and 4x4 are two things I definitely want to have. I could probably get a regular cab in my budget but that wouldn't be practical for me.

And I have a personal bias against Fords :o

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

The dealer near me has a 2008 GMC Sierra crew cab 4x4 w/5.4L V8, tow hitch, and power windows for $25k...

But if it's just towing short distances then the frontier is fine if you keep the trailer <5000lbs. It's max tow rating is 6500lbs but I wouldn't actually max any truck out.

7. ToyTundra

ToyTundra slanted soundstage

I wheeled with a frontier a month ago. It was definatly capable with the rear locker. Until the side airbags deployed...

8. Geezle

Well I doubt I'll be taking it off road much, so that's not too much of a concern. I'm interested in the 4x4 more for dealing with the snow/ice we get here in the winter.

9. RobinHood

RobinHood New Member

my buddy has an 04 frontier and he romped up a mild curb (its a desert edition or whatever) and we totally screwed a ball joint.

I have an 03 ranger, 3.0L doesnt have much get up and go but the 4.0 has plenty of power.

Personally I love rangers. The 3.0 is really reliable, the 4.0 sometimes has trouble with head gaskets. the truck is relatively fun to drive for a truck.

Ranger is my vote.

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yea get a ranger crew cab :rolleyes:

o wait!

11. RobinHood

RobinHood New Member

well if he needed a crew cab i wouldve suggested something else smartass.
    [​IMG]

woah whats this?

crew cab. not in US. but still.

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

not in us therefore my care is at -11ty.

13. Geezle

Actually I am looking for a crew cab.

I think the extended (King) cab with the Frontier has the rear hinged doors, and the crew cab has regular doors?

The more I think about it, the 4 full doors would be better as I would have to sometimes store some of my tools in the back seat until I get the trailer business sorted out.

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

if you get a fullsize, you can live with an extended cab.... however, in a compact truck, you'd be a fool to get an extended cab. Everyone I know with an extended cab regrets it very much. It always comes down to cost -- and just be a man and get the crew cab -- even if it's a bit more money.

That said, the frontier crew cab long box is a great truck!

15. Geezle

Yeah, I've been looking at some interior pics of the king cab and I have to say that the jump seats in the back look pretty gay. I'd rather pay the extra and get the crew cab.

The long box I could probably take or leave...of course my opinion may change once I go see them in person, but pretty much anything really big that I'd need to move could be moved in the trailer I'm looking at buying anyway.

I'll just be glad when I don't have to try to work out of my car anymore :hsd:

16. bubbaZR2

bubbaZR2 i poop too much, then i get tired... OT Supporter

iv been thinkin about ditching my 2 trucks for a frontier and then buying a corvette. Are the nismo's the only ones with lockers?

17. DarqueGT

DarqueGT New Member

I've got an '05 Nismo Frontier. Great truck all in all. If you plan on modifying it at all as far as the suspension goes, you might be better off in a Tacoma or something domestic.

18. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

from the factory, yes..

19. KIDRR

KIDRR Duck dog>* OT Supporter

The new Frontiers are solid trucks. They will tow fine. I got the Tacoma for the better gas mileage, lighter weight for wheeling, and much better looks IMO the Frontier looks like a flash back to the 80's inside. Not to mention the better gas mileage the Tacoma gets. The big plus with the Nissan is they are willing to deal on them so you can probably get a comparable model to the Tacoma for $3-$5K cheaper.

I don't regret getting just the extra or "access" cab model however, I rarely ever need to put a 3rd or 4th person back there but I can squeeze them in if I have to.

My buddy has a 03-04 Frontier and the shocks were shot after about 2-3 years. Not sure if it's the same with the newer models.

20. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

according to people on the forums the nissan seems to beat the tacoma in real-world mpgs.

21. KIDRR

I average just over 20mpg and I drive about 85% city, my GF had a Frontier rental and it didn't get that kind of mileage.

22. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

a v6 4x4 taco will *NOT* get 20mpg city... take ass, remove head.

23. coma

coma New Member

I have an '06 Frontier and couldn't be happier. Great features, power and torque.
    I just came from a Ranger and the differences are dramatic (yes, same size motor, 4.0). Go here for info: www.clubfrontier.org.

24. KIDRR

I didn't say city oh great oracle of gas mileage results.

25. Kortiz-DZ

Kortiz-DZ Resident Nigerian Lipper OT Supporter

There was one thing that was making me shy away from the frontier when I was in the market.

The Crew Cab looks god damn horrendous. I don't know why, but it reminded me of that subaru car/truck thing. The backend looks almost like it doesn't fit with the truck.

Regardless, I've heard good things about both. So all my gripes are about cosmetics.