Nissan Cube on the way, can the March 12SR be far behind?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by TriShield, Jun 15, 2004.

1. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

Marching Orders: Nissan's March minicar is tons of fun to drive

[​IMG]
    Nissan's March 12SR is small, fun and should be sold here.

By MARK VAUGHN
    (08:30 June 15, 2004)

NISSAN HAS ALREADY announced plans to bring its cute, cuddly little Cube to the U.S. market to do battle with the slightly edgier Scion xB and the coming Honda Fit. Small is beautiful now. Though no official arrival date has been released, we expect the Cube to get here with the current model’s redesign in 2006. Specifically, that will likely be a variation of the Cube called the Cube Cubic or Cube3, the stretched version of Nissan’s B-class Cube econobox with a third row of seats.

That’s well and good, but here’s another twist: The Nissan March is also a B-class car, and the March is tons of fun to drive. It would make sense to bring it in, especially if it was marketed together with the Cube aimed at capturing the youth market (where in the Scion universe have we heard this before?).

Speculation on this product plan for Nissan arose during a recent drive of the March. Nissan gathered together a phalanx of its global cars and trucks for the world press to evaluate, from NISMO-tuned Sentras to big-box vans called Elgrand. Our favorite was the March.

[​IMG]

We drove two March versions. The first was a torque-happy, 1.5-liter four-cylinder turbodiesel European Micra, the name March uses in Europe.

The Nissan product planner from France would not stop talking about what a great car it is, and how it seats four comfortably, and how the 136 lb-ft of torque is phenomenal. All that is true. But he didn’t point out that the diesel fuel for it had to be shipped in from France because our diesel is so crude the car might choke on it.

Our second drive was in a hot-rodded Japan-market March called the 12SR, the same car our Japanese correspondent gushed over earlier this year (Jan. 5). The ultra-cute three-door weighs a pinch more than 2000 pounds and its 1.2-liter four-cylinder puts out 107 hp and 99 lb-ft of torque. It is sporty in much the way a Mini is sporty.

It constantly reminds you of the adage that it’s more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow. It’s so much fun, in fact, that a racing series for 12SRs in Japan exists that we’d like to enter. Or start one over here when the cars arrive, whenever that may be.

The March is successful in Asia and in Europe, with 123,709 units sold in Japan alone in 2003. Since it’s a B-class car, as is the coming Cube model, why not convert both to U.S. specs and capture that elusive youth market? Cost constraints? Nissan posted record operating profits for fiscal year 2003 of $7.29 billion.

Come on, Nissan, siphon off some profit and make the entry-level segment fun again in the U.S. market. March on!

[​IMG]

2. accordfreak93

accordfreak93 Go Preds!

pics of cube? cant remember what it looks like.

3. Nijra

Nijra Chopper Dave we have uh oh, this is not a drill ov

The Micra is awesome. I approve of this.

4. Astringent

Astringent Hai!

Here's a hint: It looks like 2 f*cking CUBES put together.

It's f*cking ugly, just like the Scion xB. I find it completely worthless and counter-intuitive that cars like that actually SELL.

5. nucl3ar

nucl3ar Guest

Scion is bad enough, please no more crappy designs that should have stayed in Japan

6. Dalai Lama

Dalai Lama Guest

[​IMG] > jesus

7. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

[​IMG]

So cute, so cuddly.

8. LongDongWong

LongDongWong U can call me Mr.Wong

The rear of the March reminds me of the VW Bug.... :ugh:

9. SirLumina

SirLumina New Member

Yay more ugliness!

10. dmora

dmora Guest

I want the RWD SR20 powered Mirca :x:

11. Skoles

Skoles Guest

They reviewd the Cube on this weeks episode of Top Gear. It's fucking awful every which way & the rear window is fucked. In the angle posted it looks like it's a wrap around window. But if you see the other side there is a body panel on the other corner in the back.

12. Abraxis

Abraxis Denny Crane.

Rather have the Xb than that Cube/Tonka creation. For the car, if I want a Mini I'll buy a Mini.
    Good to have some choices though. I wish US auto makers would come up with some smart, functional, low cost and well built cars like these.

13. Dr. Woo

Dr. Woo Guns don't kill people

Link?

14. Skoles

Skoles Guest

15. HisXLNC

HisXLNC ๑۩۞۩๑ Hot ๑۩۞۩๑

Repost like a motherfucker.

16. quzur

quzur Active Member

I wish the US had that version of the Cube here. Why make it bigger...defeats the whole purpose

17. HisXLNC

HisXLNC ๑۩۞۩๑ Hot ๑۩۞۩๑

Because Americans are fatasses.

18. iZero

iZero Guest

Elgrand :bowdown:

19. iZero

iZero Guest

I would like a slightly larger Cube.

20. Seeker

Seeker Brofessional OT Supporter

:werd:

We need more small, fun cars like the Mini here. It would also help if they could be a bit cheaper, too. The March could probably pull that off. A March "SE-R" with a NISMO suspension and the 126hp QG18DE from the base model Sentra wouldn't be a bad idea at all.

Nissan might not be able to get a one-make racing series for the March started in the States, but it could always offer a free SCCA membership or something like that. My friend got one when he bought a WRX. :dunno:

21. troglodyte

troglodyte Guest

Yes it is! I love the March/Micra. And to anyone who thinks the Cube is fugly? :slap: Ultimate PIMPMOBILE! I plan on buying one for the misses once back in Japan. As the only person on here to actually have driven a Cube (most likely), I can say that they are roomy, easy to see around you, and very practical. Like everything else, it could use more power, but thats what NISMO is for.

The Cube is not a GTR and no one should confuse the purpose of each. If you go to Japan, you would see how these cars are customized and are in no way "chick cars." People need to open their minds and expand their horizons....

22. Slash

Slash New Member

I'd get one for a daily