Ninja 250R for first bike?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by psyclone, Mar 21, 2010.

1. psyclone

psyclone o_O

Any opinions? I have had a good look around and it seems like a pretty good balance between price and power. The 650R is available in a learners version too, just with a low flow Carbi - its a heap more expensive though.

Think i am keener to get a 250R, sell it when im on my full licence and but a new CBR600 or something for weekend play and a bit of commuting.

2. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

i had an 2008 for a little over a year and put about 10k miles on it before i sold it...
    great first bike...

pic of mine before i sold it...
    [​IMG]

3. saxman

saxman Burninating the peasants

I would suggest something a bit older and naked for a first bike.

That said, you could do FAR FAR worse than a ninja 250

4. psyclone

psyclone o_O

Yeah i will get a second hand one. Hopefully 2008 model. They haven't changed anything significant since then and I can save 1/4 of the price. Good chance i will drop it, and I know the full fairings are going to take a beating.

My next bike will definitely be a sports/super-sports bike so i would rather start out learning on a sports bike that a road/trail. They are probably the toughest looking 250 I have seen. Makes it hard looking at the awesome bigger bikes then going back down to one suitable to learn on.

5. saxman

saxman Burninating the peasants

I picked up a gs500 for a first bike. And promptly dropped it. Fortunately, the damage was limited to a slightly scratch on the pipe, which already wasn't in amazing shape. I'm very glad it wasn't faired as it would have caused a lot of damage.

There are lots of naked bikes out there that are not road/trail bikes.

GS500s, honda hawks, honda hornets, suzuki bandits, etc

6. jeffreyliu838

jeffreyliu838 New Member

You could look for a used one with sliders on it. A drop will still damage the bike, but sliders help a lot. Make sure you get sliders that are installed with the fairings cut.

7. psyclone

psyclone o_O

I have never heard of sliders! I just googled it and came up with some really good ones for about $120. Makes no change to the fairings - just mounts in through the gap onto the frame. Will definitely be investing a set!

8. jeffreyliu838

jeffreyliu838 New Member

If you get the second hand one, you'll probably find quite a few with sliders already installed. They're very popular on sport bikes. Also, the ones that require cuts work better since they're at more critical points. 120 is pretty expensive for just frame sliders. I think you found a crash kit, or a cage, which offer even more protection than just frame sliders. Cages are ugly though lol.

9. psyclone

psyclone o_O

I guess half the reason of getting a Ninja is for its looks. Having a cage does detract from that quite a lot. I am having quite a bit of trouble getting a second hand one. There is an awesome one locally that has only done 800 Miles, but the guy has had his phone off for the past 7 days. Surely if it sold he would take it down from the website. Getting them from interstate is expensive, and I am pretty keen to have a good look over it before I buy it.

10. swedishstar

swedishstar Active Member

Used SV650? Still very light, noob friendly, but won't get boring as quickly as the 250...

that's just me though.

11. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

never found my 250 to be boring :dunno:

12. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm pretty much going after the price now. Anything I can get for cheap, that looks halfway decent and runs good. Ninja 250R was on my list, but I'm not going to be getting it new. I'll pick one up for the right price though.

13. psyclone

psyclone o_O

Learners bikes are restricted here in Aus, It has to fit into a power to weight ratio be legal. There are a few 650's on the list, but they obviously dont go any faster than the 250's on the upper end of the list.

I just spent the last 30min talking to a salesman about buying a new one. If I cant get a second hand one in reasonable condition I might have to buy a new one. I should get most of it back when I sell it, providing I dont drop it...

14. swedishstar

Everyone has different needs and desires. I grew up racing shifter karts and riding dirt bikes, most of which would outrun a 250r. I guess I can't really speak for someone new getting into motorcycling...especially in Australia with different laws. I just was saying I thought he might like something with more performance (while still being docile) that he can push harder as he becomes more experienced. This was all under the assumption that he was in the US.

15. jeffreyliu838

jeffreyliu838 New Member

Since you plan on getting a 600 after you get your full license anyways, I'd just get the cheapest working qualifying bike that you can find.

16. rsxratedr

rsxratedr New Member

what is considered good mileage for a used 250?

17. swedishstar

this

18. swedishstar

I would imagine with proper maintenance that the bike would run for a very very long time. There are 600's out there that have 150k+ on them. :wiggle:

I would say, look for milage versus price. I have no idea what the market is like in AUS, but I wouldn't be wary of a bike with 10k miles if it goes through the gears correctly, etc.

19. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

you wouldn't have bought my one year old bike then :rofl:

20. rsxratedr

rsxratedr New Member

yah thanks i live in the So Cal US i havent really done my homework yet, but ive seen some 10k mile bikes and was like wow thats too much, but maybe not if the condition is well maintained like you said. But 150k miles? wow didnt know those existed.:mamoru:

21. swedishstar

My dad rides ~20k a year. It's nothing. :wiggle:

Bandit 1250s is pretty beefy.

22. psyclone

psyclone o_O

I think they do about 65 mile to the gallon depending on how hard you drive them.

I gave up on trying to find a good second hand Ninja. With all the extra costs I was only going to save a little bit compared to a new bike. They seem to hold their price really well.

I managed to scrape together the rest of the cash and I will hopefully go and pick up a new one in the next week!

Lots of debate over color. I think the black one looks too black, with black rims, wheels, frame, fairings and exhaust. I am keener on the Blue. I cant tell if it looks tacky or not though. Any opinions?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. rsxratedr

rsxratedr New Member

the blue looks good but its a little too light for my taste, here in so cal everyone has black on black and some even have the red lip on the rim. No doubt it looks hot,but now when i see them its just ehh look another one. Its nice to see some variety and personality. But when i get my 250 i am probably gonna get the black one =).

24. psyclone

psyclone o_O

It looks very light blue in that pic - I think they look a bit more metallic blue in the flesh. I just picked up some dope sliders too:

[​IMG]

they werent cheap, but they look heaps better than the plastic doorstop looking ones for $30 less. Can replace the ends on them if they get slapped up too

25. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

except that the aluminum ends won't slide as well as the Delrin ones