A&P Nikon strobists school me

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Heinzanova, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Heinzanova

Heinzanova OT Supporter

So I am thinking of purchasing a external flash unit and I have just a few questions to help me justify this spend:

How do you guys remotely control it, I know the D80 can trigger a remote flash but doesn't the flash need to be line of site? What if I wanted to place it inside of a room or behind something?

What are some easy simple tricks that all newbs to external / remote flash units should try to take (and usually do)?

What would you say is the best 1st/primary flash to own for a nikon guy given cost vs features?

2. xconverge

xconverge OT Supporter

I use a d70 and sb600. It is easy to get the flash and camera into the proper mode for off camera lighting. Indoors, it fires almost every time, I don't think its ever not fired indoors. Outdoors it was kind of a pain to be honest and I was just doing some car photography. The sunlight and stray light was causing it to not fire reliably. If you are looking to just get into off camera lighting I personally would recommend the sb600. There are plenty of comparisons online of the sb600 vs sb800 and for the most part its bigger, slightly more powerful, can command flashes instead of using the pop up flash, but takes a little longer to recharge for the next flash. If you will primarily be using it indoors (does not need line of sight or anything, it can see the reflections off of walls and stuff of the on camera flash) I would say definitely get the sb600 and prepare to be amazed. Just having it on camera and using it to bounce is amazing and has changed my photography forever.

3. Etherized

Etherized Active Member