A&P Nikon software for my D70?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by dmora, Aug 16, 2004.

1. dmora

dmora Guest

Does it come with that nikon view app thing? Whats the pro version of the nikon app. Will it work in Mac OS X?

2. mojito

mojito New Member

just get photoshop cs and shoot RAW

3. nitro

nitro Guest

:ugh:

4. dmora

dmora Guest

whats the ugh for? Thats how im going to be shooting.

5. Kinks

Kinks Sup. OT Supporter

FWIW I thought I'd shoot RAW as well until I realised what I was in for..

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/raw.htm

basically, RAW means you have to post-process every image before you can see it. As Ken rightly says, if you learn to get your images right in the camera then you chop out a huge amount of workflow on the PC. RAW's a PITA unless you really need it. Wastes heaps of space too.

My current count on the D70:
    JPG: 576
    RAW: 0

If I was shooting stuff that was important, totally unrepeatable and I didn't mind post-processing every shot then I'd shoot RAW. For normal stuff, JPEG all the way.

6. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

Stick with RAW, in the worse case you bitch about waiting for the conversion.

There are a few pics that was in JPEG and wished that it was in RAW.

To many people they don't show in RAW or dislike RAW for reasons including some of the following:

1. Simply don't know how to batch process their pictures (If you want to convert RAW to JPEG/TIFF, you can batch process them) It does take time, but don't involve too much work from you. Few clicks and wait til it's done.

2. Want to use their DSLR like film camera. So, they avoid doing things with the computer as much as they can

3. Wants to waste no time in post-processing, turn around time is in a higher priority than quality (e.g. for newspapers)

Personally I want to preserve as much infomation as I can, so, I shoot in RAW. I do not care about the space and speed advantage of the JPEG. Also I can get JPEG out of the RAW file, but not the other way around.

I actually rarely keep JPEG files. I keep the RAW file and the TIFF for storage.

7. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

Not true at all, with RAW plug-in you can view the RAW from photoshop, or with the Nikon D70, you can view the RAW file via NikonView with no post-processing. NikonView which is free also offers catch conversion from RAW to JPEG. (but no TIFF, you need Nikon Capture for
    that)

So, try to take a picture with RAW and see if you need post-processing to view it...
    :)

8. dmora

dmora Guest

i thought the nikon sofware was supposed to help with the post proccessing

9. one66stang

one66stang Haters.com

It comes with Nikon Capture and Picture Perfect (something like that). Get Nikon View from Nikon its $99 after 30 days. Or you can probally find it .....................

10. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

Yes, the nikon software will.

With the software that comes with the D70 (that is at no extra cost), you can get

1. photoshop element 2.0 (reads RAW with Nikonview installed)

2. NikonView, which will be able to batch process and convert the RAW to JPEG. in 3 simple steps. (1. Ctrl-A selects all the pics. 2. right click -> convert to JPEG 3. choose your parameters and wait til it's done)

P.S. Don't use the Photoproject it sucks... stick with NikonView, as far as no cost options, NikonView is better

11. Kinks

Kinks Sup. OT Supporter

Fair enough, I'll concede that one. I tried in PS earlier and it could only open one image at a time (PITA), however Breeze Browser will read NEFs so i can browse them like I would JPEGs. Then convert the ones I want in PS...

Still, it takes noticeably more effort to use RAW. Why batch process RAW too - you might as well just shoot JPEG! In effect you're just doing what you COULD have told your camera to do in the first place.

The quality difference will only be noticeable on huge enlargements too, in which case you can do RAW for that shoot if it's important.

12. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

You see, I suck at this photography thing, so I try to keep all my options open and shoot in RAW. Also, this is my hobby and I can take my time. I honestly don't know if I like the shoot or not til I see it on the computer screen. The LCD preview doesn't do much for me. Especially in a bright day outdoor.

With that said... I can totally understand why people shoot jpeg, and for good reasons they do. It's a trade off that people have to make I guess. Make work with RAW for sure...

Last edited: Aug 17, 2004
  13. Kinks

Kinks Sup. OT Supporter

Just make sure you don't spend too much time stuffing around with your images rather than getting out, taking photos and improving your technique. :)

14. mojito

mojito New Member

the software built into CS is more than enough for RAW images. You can browse them before any post processing, you get a whole sub set of proccessing options, including adjusting the white balance, color temp, tint, exsposure, brightness, sharpness, contrast, shadows, saturation for the basic menus. If you really want to get into it, you can adjust the cromatic aberation, vigneting amount and location, saturation of each individual color etc.

You can adjust the dpi output and determine file size by pixels, all before you get the file into CS. If you shot alot at the same location, you can use the same settings without tweeking each option individualy.

It'll save a lot of images, and its uncompressed. I make 13x19's (the largest my Epson 2200 will do) and they look incredible. the typlical output size without have to screw with it is 11x17 from my 10D

15. BLKDVLGSX

BLKDVLGSX OT Supporter

CS blows for RAW....use NIKON VIEW...it's FREE from the website....capture is the one you have to buy....i have always shot RAW (NEF) and if adjustments were needed that view couldn't do I save as a tif and use photoshop on that....if you check out dpreview's review of the D70 and the quality between view,capture and PS CS you will know why i use View :)

16. TheEvil1

TheEvil1 Hell is other people OT Supporter

DID you install the Raw plugin for CS? it definitly does NOT suck and is actually better then useing Capture

17. BLKDVLGSX

BLKDVLGSX OT Supporter

and View is still better than both, did you not read my post?
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond70/page16.asp

scroll down a bit and see the comparisons....View is much crisper than both

18. TheEvil1

TheEvil1 Hell is other people OT Supporter

that was done before the newest raw plugin from adobe, the newer one is much better