A&P Nikon question.

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by julia!, Mar 9, 2007.

1. julia!

julia! New Member

I have a d50. I'm doing pretty okay with it but havent really figured out all the controls. So here is my problem. My camera is taking small pictures. I want to increase the size of them. It's not taking low resoloution, it's just taking small pictures so when I want to get them printed out they are tiny and if I try to increase the size it makes them look grainy. If any of you are particularly familiar with this could you please give me a step by step tutorial of what to do to change this. I'm not having much luck. Thanks!

2. Redliner7

Redliner7 New Member

Hit the QUAL button on the back, and at the same time, twist the wheel until it shows L/Fine.

3. julia!

julia! New Member

Okay I will do that. Thank you. What does l/fine stand for?

4. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

I would shoot in Raw, and get lightroom or CS2 ACR to edit them...

Unless you're a pro and pinched for time, there's no reason not to...

5. Blair

Blair New Member

L= Large
    F= Fine, or a measure of quality. If memory serves the options are Fine, Normal, Low

6. austincabot

austincabot New Member

Raw is overrated. Unless you know what you're doing, JPEG images look a lot better - unless you know what to do in PP.

7. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

Just because you don't know what your doing with PP doesn't mean RAW is overrated.

But yeah, I could see how you would think a lossless, non-compressed, 12 bit image is overrated compared to a lossful, compressed 8-bit image...

:ugh:

8. austincabot

austincabot New Member

Remember this - http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=3003257 ?

9. austincabot

austincabot New Member

The Debate contines....

10. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

yeah, i do remember that.

I haven't changed my mind after shooting raw+jpg.

My raw files have more shadow detail than the jpg ones, and after minor PP (in lightroom, not PS), I come away more satisfied with the finished raw files...

I do think that my goals and focus are different than most on this boards though, and that could be why I prefer RAW. I don't have a timeframe for my work, I'm not being paid for it, and the process, from the shot to the print, is what I really enjoy. So for me, the PP is part of the fun, and since i'm doing this for art and personal enjoyment, jpg has no benefit for me.

The most important piece of information I got from the last thread was that pro's don't use RAW because they don't PP.

Thats not to say that I use PP as a crutch to fix my bad shots, because I aim to use it as little as possible, but it is another tool, and if your end result is a print, PP is necessary anyway.

but thanks for reminding me about that shot... I still haven't been back to reshoot it correctly...

Still dunno what my instructor saw in it... :dunno: