GUN Nikon or Leupold?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by vwpilot, Sep 5, 2008.

1. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Ok, I picked up a used Remmy 700 SPS in 30.06 that was never shot from my local shop for a good price. I dont hunt a lot, but go with an uncle in PA every now and then and have been keeping my eye out for a good deal for an inexpensive hunting rifle and thought this would be a good one. Worst case is if I dont hunt much, its still a 700 and I'll rebuild it into something else.

Anyway, I need a decent inexpensive scope for it now. I've narrowed it down to two.

The Leupold VX-I in a 3-9 and the Nikon Buckmaster 3-9. Both are 1" tubes, 40mm objectives and can be had for about $200.

I have heard the Nikon is a decent scope for the money and I know Leupold has the reputation, just not sure of their low line like this.

Anyone have experience with either? Any recommendations? These are both 40mm objectives, they can both be had with 50mms for not much more, is it worth it?

Remember, this will likely get used in anger maybe once a year (maybe here and there at the range for something different), so not going to spend more than this and it doesnt have to be awesome stuff.

Any thoughts are greatly appreicated.

Nikon: http://www.swfa.com/pc-1856-220-nikon-3-9x40-buckmaster-riflescope.aspx

Leupold: http://www.swfa.com/pc-3443-89-leupold-3-9x40-vx-i-riflescope.aspx

2. sprite

sprite Active Member

In that price range I'd say Nikon.

3. Formula-95

Formula-95 2:32 PM 5-13-09 Never Forget, Hamburglar OT Supporter

i like my nikon buckmaster II pretty good quality in a decent price range

4. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

The VX-I isn't a Leupold. It bears the name, but it isn't even the same (I don't even think it's made in the same factory). Pass on it.

I'd go Nikon in that price range, but not the one you are looking at. For $250 you can get a 4.5x14x40 BuckMaster, which I think is an excellent scope that you could use for a variety of purposes.

Also, Leupy M8 6x42's can sometimes be had near there, and are some of my favorites for hunting purposes. They are light, unbreakable, can be upgraded to M1 turrets (how I roll with mine), and are possibly the friendliest scope in regards to eye relief/usability. A true gem that many people look over because they chase big X numbers.

You can get a lot more for your money buying used. Specifically, from here:
    http://www.samplelist.com/default.aspx?display_num=10&mfg_selection=9&prod_type=1&hide_sold=false
    They sell demo scopes from Shot Show, tradeshows, etc. I've done business with them and have had nothing but great dealings.

More to ponder....

5. bursty

bursty New Member

Nikon

6. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

i`ve heard those buckmasters are pretty decent for the $$$

7. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Thanks, thats kinda the way I was leaning since I never really heard anything great about the basic Leupolds, but the Buckmasters seem to have good reviews.

I think the 4.5-14 is more than I need for where I'll likely use this rifle, but I'll check it out anyway and see what the pricing is on it. Its mostly wooded area of PA that I'll use it to hunt, so no 300 yard shots or anything like that are likely.

Thanks for the input.

8. cantankerously

cantankerously Active Member

I guess the Nikon.

9. Mideel25

Mideel25 OT Supporter

I have a 3x9x40 Nikon Buckmasters w/leupold rings on a Tikka T3 .30-06 and have no complaints about it. Clear, bright, has held it's zero. For the price, you can't beat it. Throw some butler creek covers on it and call it a day.

10. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

So what are the opinions on the VX-II Leupold's? I went into a Dick's to get the Nikon since they had it for the same price as online, and they had the VX-II 3-9 x 40 for $299. Supposedly on sale from like $467 or something, but in the end its the same price as online for $299.

It looked a little clearer and brighter than the Nikon and was definitely lighter than the Nikon.

Is it worth the $100 over the Nikon? Are they pretty good scopes or just stick with the Nikon?

thanks

11. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

I've only had one VXII, and it came on a rifle that I bought. It was a 3x9. Wasn't "bad", but I think Leupy makes better stuff.

I suggested the 4.5x14 because of it's flexibility, and that if you wanted to use it for something else, you could. I swap glass about rifles all the time depending on what I'm doing. By far and away, I think spending extra money on glass is a better value than spending the same dollars on gun.

If you are looking for woods work, I strongly suggest you check out a Leupy M8 6x42. They are amazing for what you want to do, and I can't say enough good things about mine.

If you are inclines to spend more money, my next favorite optic (and my favorite variable of nearly all) is the VX-III 3.5x10x40. It's another optic that is incredibly versatile and easy to use.

I personally don't get bent up about buying glass based on perceived optical clarity. To me, that's way down far on the list of things I look for. I'd be far more inclined to look at eye relief, "friendliness" of the eyebox, ease of mounting solutions (position of turret housing in accordance to tube length), erector repeatability, amount of "up" adjustment, click adjustment, etc. I'm not looking for a spotting scope, I'm looking for something to hold and manipulate crosshairs so that I can hit stuff with.

12. johnson

johnson New Member

I recently ordered a Bushnell ELITE 4200 3-9x40 for $250. Many users say it kicks the snot out of most in it's price range.

13. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

6 power is going to be too much if you're ever going to take a shot at less than 100 yds, Especially if your target is moving at all.

I have that VXII 3-9x40 on my TC .22-250. It's a good scope.