A&P Nikon mid range zoom

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by SenenCito, Dec 29, 2006.

1. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

this is like the most difficult choice eva, Ideally id love to get the nikon 17-55 2.8 piece of work, but the budget is tight and I can to a lot more with that money than waste it on one lens

so in that particular range these are the lenses

Sigma 18-50 2.8 Macro a new design, supposedly its quite nice

Sigma 17-70 2.8 - 4.5
    its not a constant 2.8 lens but the range is almost the same as the kit lens..so this is a very interesting option

Tamron 17-50 2.8
    Ive read also some good stuff from this lens, the extra wide angle would be useful

Plus Tokina is also coming out with a new 16-50 lens, supposedly a jointly developed with pentax, so it should be interesting

What would you guys choose if you couldnt pay the extra for the big nikon 17-55? Its driving me nuts thinking about it.

2. Blair

Blair New Member

i am in the same boat, i wish nikon would make a 17-55f4 ED ala canon 17-40f4L

3. hsubaru

hsubaru New Member

If I didn't pay for the 17-55, I'd probably have gone with the Tamon 17-50... but I never regret getting the 17-55, since I shoot in all weather, and this thing is a tank.

What I really wanted was the 17-35, since 17 on full frame is freaking WIIIDE. But I'm quite happy with the 17-55, which stays on the camera for most of the time.

Blair - it might be good budget-wise, but an f/4 is pretty useless indoors when you don't want to break out the flash ;)

4. Blair

Blair New Member

you make a great point subie, but these days 90% of my shooting is outdoors so something like an f4 doesnt really bother me for landscapes and snow sports.

however there is no doubt 2.8 is the way to go if budgets allow. any discussion about an f4 is considering budget in the equation.

5. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

Tamron 17-50 f/2.8

6. Blair

Blair New Member

seems like there is a real love hate relationship with that lens. and doesn't it rely on the screw drive AF, seems like a step back compared to my 18-70.

7. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter