A&P Nikon Flashes

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by CombatWombat, May 10, 2007.

1. CombatWombat

CombatWombat oh shit, zombies bro

I want a flash, most likely either the SB600 or SB800.

But I'm no pro and have very little experience with flashes.

What's the main difference between them?

How does the wireless feature work on the SB800? Does it need a IR trigger on the camera, or any other equipment?

I'd mainly be using it as a fill, at a variety of lengths, if at all possible with the flash mounted off the camera. This makes the 'wireless' feature sound appealing, but largely the SB800 seems the same as the SB600.

I use a D80, btw.

Just looking for experience and advice, on either the two mentioned flashes, or something similar?

2. Mr_Penut

Mr_Penut Elitist Member OT Supporter

i use nikon flashes

nikon>canon:bowdown:

the sb-800 is nice

3. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

i've used both but i still find the sb800 to be a better bang for the buck. I just don't really care for the sb600

4. Blair

Blair New Member

for what you are doing it would probably be sufficent to just get a sb-600 and learn some techniques first and foremost.

5. CombatWombat

Well, I have technique (to a point). I have a Canon AE1 Program, with a flash, however, it's a bargain basement, cheap as fuck mess about flash. Which doesn't really behave with the D80.

However, you point is still valid.

6. 1992 240SX

1992 240SX New Member

Get the SB-800. I just bought one last weekend and so far I'm loving it. For some reason I can't get the wireless to work on my D70s thought (help!). I've never really used the 600 but if you're dropping down a lot of money on a flash you might as well get the better of the two so you don't feel like you could have had a better flash later on.

7. 19Godfather86

19Godfather86 New Member

The SB-800 is good because it's a bit more powerful, and can be used as a flash commander for Nikon cameras without Commander mode or a built in flash. Because you have a D80, which has Commander mode built in, the SB-600 should be more than enough.

8. 19Godfather86

19Godfather86 New Member

Don't listen to this guy, whatever you do.

9. CombatWombat

Cheers, are you saying the SB600 would work wirelessly with my D80, because it allready has the Commander feature? I'm not quie sure what you mean.

I've been recommended 'Pocket Wizards'.

So effectively I would use the SB600 flash, and a set of PWs, to create a wireless bridge. So the same as the 'commander' mode, except unlike the IR system, the flash does not have to be in the line of site.

Which is great. But does it mean I will loose the iTTL function which is granted by use of the Commander mode, due to the way PWs work?

10. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

combat - I have the d80 and the 600.

The d80 can act like a commander flash.

To explain further - You can choose your onboard flash on the d80 to be a 'commander', and then tell your 600 to be the slave.

You can also choose whether or not you want your onboard flash to be used as fill flash, or only as the commander. So you technically will have a '2 flash' lighting system.

You can also choose both the 600 and the onboard to work in i-ttl mode, while you're using the slave/onboard combo, and they do a great job of metering and correctly exposing. It's awesome.

I CONSTANTLY use the 600 off camera and use the onboard in ttl mode. It gives me great control of the lighting.

After reading up on both flashes, the main things you get with the 800 is slightly more power, and the strobe repeating mode.

The big $$ difference between the two is the commander mode. But you already have that.

I haven't tried the pocket wizards, nor have I tried using the 600 out of sight. To be honest, I haven't really had to test those limits yet. I haven't needed too..

I'm almost curious to go try it out, to see how far I can push them...

11. 19Godfather86

19Godfather86 New Member

This all depends on what you want to do.

The Commander mode on the D80 will allow you to set up your SB-600 somewhere near the camera (though I've heard it even works in other rooms, at distance, etc) and fire the flash remotely. No Pocketwizards. Just the Camera and the SB-600.

Using the "Commander Mode" built into the D80, you can remotely set the power of the SB-600, or you can let it make it's own mind up based on a number of really complex "conversations" between the camera and the flash just before exposure. Basically, a quick flash will fire from the D80's built in flash just before the shutter opens, signalling the SB-600 to fire, as well as telling it how powerful the flash should be. You can also choose to have the built in flash fire during exposure, giving you two flash sources/options.

Pocketwizards are great, from what I've heard, but are more suited for people who have more demanding lighting circumstances (like firing off remote flashes placed high in a gym or stadium) or for people who are firing off larger standalone flash units like AlienBees. As far as I know, though, they don't work with the iTTL on your Nikon (the system used by the camera to gauge how powerful the flash should be) and so you'd have to set the power of the flashes manually and independantly.

Also, the commander mode works for as many as 3 flashes, each with independant directions from the camera, I believe.

12. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

Yup. I have spots for 3 different flashes in my commander menu, and you can set each one manually for exposure....

On the back of the flash, you can select which one it is.

Great stuff. I can't wait to get a few more and try all that crap out!

13. CombatWombat

Ahhh, it has become much clearer. I think I'm going to go for the SB600. Cheers guys.

14. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

I ordered an SB-600 On monday, shipped yesterday. I'm waiting to get it. for my needs i think i'll have enough flash for a while. Also good to read this thread and find out that my D80 will commmand remotely.

On a semi-related note. Does anyone know if someone makes a diffuser that can be put on the onboard flash, other than just tapping some plastic over the front of it?

15. Cobber

Cobber Wanna touch my bunny hole?

:bowdown: :bowdown:

SB600 crew

16. Mr_Penut

Mr_Penut Elitist Member OT Supporter

i shoot sb-28s

cheap!

17. hash browns

hash browns lolcathlon champion OT Supporter

i have 5 SB-800s, they are :bigthumb: