A&P nikon d70 euro trip.

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by focusralf, Oct 31, 2004.

1. focusralf

focusralf New Member

i am going on a one month euro trip but my d70 is so heavy what can i do to reduce weight? should i compensate for a lighter lens? any good suggestions on camera bags that are compatable with my huge backpack? thankx

2. mojito

mojito New Member

i think you should give us a few less details :ugh:

what lenses do you have? How much memory, any way of downloading? what type of "Big Bag" do you have, do you want another backpack, shoulder bad, sling pack, belt pack?

Do you shoot everything you see or just the kill shots?

work with us here and we can give you help

3. focusralf

focusralf New Member

haha.. viper.. '[ well my d70 has a 1.0gb. im shooting RAW and i dont know if i can upload pix in europe. nikor 18-70mm lens.. no bag yet..thinking of a small bag just for the camera becasue my backpack is my luggage .

4. ohknaks

ohknaks New Member

I'm doing the same thing next month, although I have a 10d. I'm taking 2 lenses (18-50 and a 28-105), a 5gb microdrive, an x-drive, and misc accessories.

Basically the camera is going to take a significant part of my bag, but I love photography and I'm willing to put up with it, and I want to be able to shoot raw.

Get a PSD of some sort to offload the pics from your cf card, as you're probably going to be taking more than 1gb of photos in a month (especially shooting raw). I've got a tamrac digital zoom 4 bag for my camera that works great. Holds an extra battery, couple filters, cable release, and lens cleaning stuff.

Basically, take a hard look at what kind of photos you want. If you aren't going to be taking night shots, don't take the cable release, etc. But, you're going to need the basics.

5. BLKDVLGSX

BLKDVLGSX OT Supporter

heavy? grow some balls man :eek3:

6. ohknaks

ohknaks New Member

all in all it's 7 or 8 pounds of camera equipment out of a 25-30 pound bag. 30 pounds gets to be a major pain in the ass when it's on your back all day travelling across half the continent.

7. sony

sony Active Member

You should look into something like a Lowepro Nova 2-3 AW (all weather). Its water resistant (not water proof), pretty well built, good padding.

[​IMG]

It should hold all the stuff you have. Its a shoulder bag. Alternatively you can look for lowepro top loader bags that you can carry around your waist. :)

8. focusralf

focusralf New Member

cable release? doesnt the d70 have a remote cable release?

9. ohknaks

ohknaks New Member

pretty much every slr made in the past 40 years that I know of has had a cable release available. However, I don't know the model number for Nikon's.

10. hash browns

hash browns lolcathlon champion OT Supporter

The D70 uses a wireless remote instead of a cable release.

Look up the ML-L3 part number. It should only be around $20.

11. redna

redna New Member

^ Or if you have a Palm with an IR output (most of them have one) there is a program that you can DL onto it for free and use your palm as your remote.

12. redna

redna New Member

BTW, I'm gong to europe next year with my D70 and I plan on packing around for who knows how long... I'm taking the kit lens, a 50mm 1.8 and a ton of memory.

Look into a lowepro bag. you can get in on a group buy here.
    http://iphotoforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10751
    might have to register, but its worth it anyway.