A&P Nikon (d40?) Noise Reduction

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by mooingmooseman, Jun 23, 2008.

1. mooingmooseman

mooingmooseman New Member

I have a D40 but I'm pretty sure this applies to a lot of the Nikon lineup...

The in-cam noise reduction function looks great but it GREATLY slows down my continuous shot ability. I would say each shot takes around 1.5 sec with NR on, whereas each shot takes .5 sec with NR off.

I'm not sure how the NR works... is it just in-camera software cleanup? Will the same effect be achieved in post-editing with PS3? Because that way I'd rather leave all my photos "noisy" and let me shoot @ 2 fps and edit as I need later.

Just to be clear, I'm talking about the Noise Reduction (NR) in the menu, not vibration reduction (VR) which I know is physical in the lens and therefore not affection fps.

Thanks guys!

2. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

don't bother using the in camera NR. just use photoshop or noiseninja

3. Yoritomo

Yoritomo dad's jar chimer

shoot raw and do noise reduction in post. I need to make a noise reduction thread. Noise ninja causes some horrible ringing, but photoshop or lightroom don't do very well at lum denoising.

4. Spurious

Spurious New Member

I thought Nikons came with NN?

5. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

news to me if they do

6. Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute New Member

:rolleyes:

7. mooingmooseman

mooingmooseman New Member

what's NN? and thanks, i think i'll stop using NR.

the only problem I have with raw is converting them afterwards as i won't be able to view them immediately or all at once... just not convenient enough.

is the difference extremely large? i've seen examples and in most cases, the extra data stored on the RAW files weren't noticeable. of course there are situations i've seen it make a save but those are rare and thus shooting in RAW seemed unnecessary. i'm just a hobbist so not losing my job over missed shots or anything... but your advice is greatly appreciated on this too.

thanks!