A&P Nikon D40 - Any tips??

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by kleverkel, Dec 10, 2007.

1. kleverkel

kleverkel New Member

I just recently bought a new camera. It's a Nikon D40. It came with the 18-55 lens and I bought the 55-200 lens seperately. My initial reaction at spending $600 for all of this was to have a mild heart attack, but it was actually a decent deal.

Sooo...since I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing with a camera, I'd like to get some advice on it. Any good reviews? Bad reviews? I bought it for my boyfriend and he knows a bit more about cameras than me, but still not too much.

Just feeling spender's remorse and wanted to make sure I got a good camera. :)

Thanks!

2. Jhegro

Jhegro wtf is a jhegro?

people who purchase DSLR's these days scare me. its seems about 90-95% of the people buying them fall into the catagory of "hi, i just bought "insert brand camera" for $XXX.XX. did i get a good deal? i have no idea on how to get started? where do i start?!?!"

do people not research ANYTHING before they buy stuff these days?

3. Sympathy

Sympathy OT Supporter

4. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

You'll leave it on Auto all the time and find out that you wasted your money in a few days :mamoru:

5. 19Godfather86

19Godfather86 New Member

Sounds like someone should have bought a P&S.

6. kleverkel

kleverkel New Member

If I were buying it for myself, I would have bought a P&S. I hate to have to quote myself here, but it was bought for my boyfriend as a Christmas present. I personally couldn't give two shits about how much zoom a lens has or any other features on a camera over $200.

I was coming here to ask for advice on an item that I know very little about. The research I did was all online - I couldn't exactly ask my boyfriend about it. I just wanted to hear some thoughts on the product.

Appreciate the input.

7. Jhegro

Jhegro wtf is a jhegro?

you should have asked prior to purchasing the item.

the D40 Lacks the integrated AF motor. which limits you to just AF-S lenses, it cannot use AF-D. its an entry level consumer DSLR. which is as capable of however the capable the photographer is. all in all, a decent camera. where did you purchase the camear from?

8. tenxia

tenxia OT Supporter

I'm trying to sell my D40 now. I feel the lack of integrated AF motor limits the lenses I can buy and use. I don't like that limitation feeling.

9. psykosis

psykosis Go placidly amid the noise and the haste

you can use the other lenses, you just don't have autofocus.

10. kleverkel

kleverkel New Member

I bought it online - Amazon. I live in Germany, so it's a bit difficult to shop for brands that I recognize without getting it online.

Thanks for turning around and not being an ass this time. I really appreciate it.

If you were still being an ass, I'd have had to poke fun at your spelling and grammar. Since you're being nice - I'll just let that one go.

:hsd:

11. goten2000

goten2000 Tupac's Son

how experienced is your bf with DSLRs? i bought a D40 as my first camera and sold it within a few months cuz i outgrew it. its kind of the toy DSLR...

12. goten2000

goten2000 Tupac's Son

oh, and those two lens fucking suck. you shouldnt have wasted your money on those...

13. tenxia

tenxia OT Supporter

what'd you get as an upgrade?

14. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

actually you need to do some more current reading...

the 18-55 is getting much better reviews that it did before. this is a new version of the lens and while it still looks and feels cheap, it is a pretty good lens for the money. and the 55-200 is also pretty nice too. Im not sure if this one is the VR or not (guessing not) but that one also received great reviews.

neither are pro quality but no pro is buying a d40 either...

15. tenplanescrashing

you got a good deal but buying something like this for someone else and they haven't given you any input on it is bad. granted, im an electronics snob so I wouldn't have anyone else buy me anything that I didn't specifically ask for.

it is a decent camera but it is very limiting after you start to get the hang of things. I guess the only thing I can say is save the receipt and make sure he is aware that he can return it if he doesn't want it.

16. tenxia

tenxia OT Supporter

What is limiting about the D40 may I ask you all who say it's limiting? not talking about lenses here, talking about features.

what can higher end DSLRs offer over the D40? I'm a nub.

17. Sympathy

Sympathy OT Supporter

it's mainly the lens choice.
    the d40 can only autofocus with lenses that motors built into the lens like the nikon af-s lenses. this mainly means that you can't use any older nikon lenses and most 3rd party lenses if you want autofocus. however you can still use any lens if you don't mind manual focusing.

18. Jhegro

Jhegro wtf is a jhegro?

this is the internetz,spelling and grammar dont count. thank you for letting that one go :ugh2:

as for people saying that the D40 is limiting, it ususally means that the individuals talent for taking photographs is limited and thus needs to be supplemented by buying expensive gear to take the same crappy pictures.

it IS however, slightly limited in the technology aspect. again, as i said before, the lens compatablity. now, thats not a huge issue, but to some it is. it doesnt have the highest frames per second that you can shoot, nor is the buffer all that large, but thats technology limitations, nothing that a decent photographer can overcome.

i'll be the first to admit, i upgraded from a canon XT to a 30d after a couple months. and one of the reasons was because i thought that the better cam would produce better pictures. but after a year and a half with the 30d, i know i was wrong. HOWEVER, one thing about the XT did bother me, and it was its size, i dont know if the D40 is significantly smaller than the D200/300 or whatever, but the XT's grip was anemically small. made my hand hurt holding it. so i upgraded for comfort as well.

19. tenxia

tenxia OT Supporter

What i've come to realize is that I'm not a hardcore/pro photographer so I'd be happy with a 18-200mm AF-S lense so I can keep my D40. I think Sigma makes D40 compatible lenses too. And the only other lense I want is probably a macro type lense but not important.

So in that case, I should be happy with my D40.

20. tenplanescrashing

yeah, that's what it is...:ugh2:

using the rear LCD screen vs. a dedicated LCD for shooting information, the lenses are a huge deal because I shoot with my Tokina 12-24 more than I do with any other lens and that I would have to manually focus with. The d40 is definitely smaller compared to the d80, d200 and the d300. plus, greater ISO abilities and a vert. grip are all things you can now have with the d80 and up that can't be had on the d40. it is a great camera for who it is marketed for but anyone who feels they'll take up the hobby and continue one will eventually find it to be somewhat limiting.

21. kleverkel

kleverkel New Member

Thanks, guys. I appreciate all the tips.

Since my bf has limited experience with photography, I figured the d40 would be a good choice for him to start with. He's been using my brother's d50 and really likes it. From what I can tell, he doesn't care too much about the auto vs. manual focus - he mostly uses manual so far.

Do you guys know of any good books that will go a little more detailed than just explaining what the buttons do, but not be too complicated for an amateur? I think he's got a pretty good eye - could be really great if he learns his shit.

Thanks again!

22. NSX

NSX OT Supporter

Believe me, when you're in the market buying $1200 lenses, $600 for a camera body/lens combo doesn't seem a lot.

23. tenxia

tenxia OT Supporter

I'd like to recommend a book by Scott Kelby.

http://digital-photography-school.com/blog/the-digital-photography-book-by-scott-kelby-review/

It's a fun book to read that will teach lots of nice tricks in easy language.

24. iridium130

iridium130 OT Supporter

25. Jhegro

Jhegro wtf is a jhegro?

yes, because ansel adams took so many shitty pictures because he couldnt put a vert grip on his camera.