A&P Nikon D200 worth it?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by TurkeyChicken, Aug 9, 2007.

1. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

I currently have a D50 and have had it for a year and change. It's been a great camera to learn on, but now that I feel comfortable with it, I'm realizing some of its limitations.

The few big things that I find I wish I could change are:

1) Larger resolution (6.1 megapixels is cool, but for 20x30" prints, a larger resolution would be better)

2) Larger cache for burst mode. (d50 can shoot and store 3 RAW images in burst mode... the d200 can shoot 22 :coold: )

3) The ability to go down to ISO 100 (the d50 only goes down to 200)

I've been doing some research and was looking at the D80, but I feel the D200 would be a better fit, even though it's a few hundred more than the D80.

Also, the size of hte D200 is significantly larger than the d50... but that shouldn't be too big of a deal.

Anyone used a D50 and a D200 and have any comments to share? I'm probably going to wait until october timeframe to actually buy a new camera... but it's never too early to start researching :x:

2. BeachBoy

BeachBoy New Member

I don't think the price difference makes the D200 worht it over the D80. Altough it has some very nice features so ifyou have the $, go for it. My father shoots D200 and I shoot D80. I prefer my camera's size, but I would really liek to get his 8 way button and the matrix metering.

3. nicklk

nicklk New Member

Poppoff has one and it makes his pictures pretty cool, so I am guessing its worth it :big grin:

4. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

:mamoru2:

I the biggest thing that makes me want the d200 over the d80 is the burst mode :drool:

5. Cobber

Cobber Wanna touch my bunny hole?

I would wait before buying a high end Nikon if I were you...

But then again you don't know what I know. :big grin:

6. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

ok im going to tell you something about a few of your reasons
    honestly, how many times have you printer larger than that, I can honestly count the times with one hand ive done a huge print and two of them I did with my D70, 6 megapixels is quite a lot

This can be cool, its fun to use, especially if youre covering events, otherwise its a waste

this is another wtf reason..I swear I havent ever noticed a single bit of difference from iso 100 and iso 200 and most of the time im shooting at iso 400 so I dont know, oh well

It really sounds like you just want to try something better, and I can tell you taht the D200 feels incredible, its a fantastic camera truly made with the photographer in mind, youre going to love it.

7. Tedrzz

Tedrzz New Member

I upgraded from the d70 to the d200 and the d200 is an amazing camera. But, I switched because of completely different reasons than you.

First off, I've never made a print bigger than 16x24 so I don't care about megapixels. Honestly, I'd rather the d200 be 6MP so I can take more pictures on a 1GB memory card. 6MP vs 10MP...no difference.

Secondly, the LCD screen on the d200 is HUGE compared to the d70. After looking at the giant, bright, super crisp display on the d200..the d70's screen is tiny.

Also, I bought the vertical grip (MB-D200) so I could shoot portraits without straining my wrist all the time.

Another reason was because of more focus area points on the d200. There isnt anything wrong with the 5 on the d70, but 11 on the d200 just gives me more control.

Lastly was becasue of the 5fps vs 3fps. I rarely use the 5FPS unless I'm taking pictures of 300MPH drag cars, or sports. But it definatly helps.

This is completely unrelated, but the shutter on the d200 just sounds..better? It really has nothing to do with peformance, but the shutter on the d70 sounds like a plasticy "fachink!" whilst the d200's shutter is more of a solid metal "CLICK".

Also there really isn't any difference between ISO 100 and 200. Overall I think you should get the d200.

8. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

oh yeah forgot that one, the LCD makes a world of difference, you can really check if an image is correctly focused there

one of my main reasons for changing to the D200 instead of the D80 was the improved shutter..my poor old D70 is practically unusable after I beat the shit out of it..I needed a more rugged camera and im real glad I chose this one.

9. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

D300? :x:

I wouldn't be able to afford it anyway I'm guessing. The D200 is just at the top of what I'd feel comfortable spending on a new body.

Although, if a higher end model comes out, that might mean a flooding of the market of D200's and will lower the price :x: :o

10. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

I've also read that the D200 is a beast with battery life. I can get a good 1000 shots or so with my D50 shooting in RAW before I need to replace the battery. People have been saying that the sweet ass LCD on the D200 really hogs battery life.

11. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

yup compared to my D70 the D200 does indeed use more battery

but at least now I have a grip with two batteries, so im good :)

12. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

I was actually looking at 3rd party grips for the D50 (since nikon doesn't make one) but ended up not doing it and just buying a separate battery.

I think in most cases, I won't really need the grip. I can just swap out batteries (I have two of them now) if one dies.

13. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

these are the exact reasons I upgraded too. comparing the d200 to the d50, you'll start to see worlds of a difference. if you can afford the d200 and the burst mode is what you feel you need, then go for the d200. if not, the d80 is comparable in every other aspect. they even have a vertical grip too!

14. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

I don't totally agree but I also don't shoot for long periods of time. I rarely have to charge the batteries in my camera but having two also extends the need to charge. sometimes i'll notice that one battery will be completely dead while the other has 80% battery life left. :dunno:

15. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

Since I'm at work right now and can't do too much in depth researching... what does the D200 offer in terms of wireless connectivity, etc... if any?

I know the D70 can trigger an SB600 or SB800 without it being attached to the shoe, does the D200 work the same way?

16. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

whats with the whole secrecy thing..its not like it even matters, if you go to dpreview you will see a ridiculous amount of threads of someone who knows someone that says another camera will come soon..prevailing rumor is that a d300 and a d3x will be announced at august 23.

17. Tedrzz

Tedrzz New Member

i was at the gas station the other day and this guy in a really nice mercedes said the new d3x will have two lens mounts, so you can use your 17-55 and 70-200 at the same time.

so it must be true.

18. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

hmm well in that case gimme a yes or no

buy a 17-55 2.8 nor or wait?

19. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

Isn't that when Canon is supposed to have some big announcement too?

I wonder if this will end up the same way everyone was saying there was going to be a huge Nikon lens announcement back in May or something

20. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

Jesus tapdancing christ... the WT-3A is expensive :o

21. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

oh I already know its inferior to the 17-35..I just had a typo I meant

should I buy the 17-55 now or wait a bit ..cause you know...something might come out soon:mamoru:

reason why id buy the 55 over the 35 is to just use one lens for events..the tamron 28-75 im using now its simply not wide enough