A&P Nikon D2/3/700 body people... in here lets talk controls

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Heinzanova, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Heinzanova

Heinzanova OT Supporter

So I was investigating some things with my AF system that I never bothered to learn (regretfully now that I know a few things I was assuming incorrectly).

It got me thinking about all the other features I don't take advantage of.

When I first got my D700 I used the enhanced buttons reprogrammable features to do stupid shit, like turn on jpg+raw at a tap of a button incase I was shooting jpg and wanted to make sure I had a raw of the image...

Now I am wondering what is the best use of the Fn and preview buttons? What type of program mapping do you to do your shutter button / ae-l and af-on buttons?

I have taken a few tricks from a co-worker who is a big canon guy and arguably one of the best photographers I have ever met.

I have changed my shutter to be Exposure only, I use AF-ON for focus, and I tend to find myself on Center weighted more than others. Meter, compose, focus, fire.

I also have been using Spot a lot, and find matrix fluxates to much when on an assisted mode such as A or S, and due to some times wanting to make the shot and speed, I don't use M as much as others, unless I am working with flash or long exposure.

I have found that even though the D700 has that nice knob for quick selection of metering modes, that some times I like to have the Fn button programmed to a hard stop meter.

If I am out and about trying todo street photography I find I leave the camera on Matrix (ignore previous bitch) as I can get a good even scene exposure for the most part, focus, snap, and then to make sure my subject is exposed properly I hold Fn down and shoot again using the focus point / usually subject as my spot meter position.

What do you guys do? What is your size recommendation for center weighted size? What type of AF mode do you keep it on? I have been trying different things. What AF tunes have you put in place? What AF mode (M,S,C) do you find yourself using most? Any hacks or clever tricks? What are you Preview/Fn/AE/Shutter etc assigned to.

2. bbp

bbp bike watching troll king OT Supporter

fuck you ballers

3. tun

tun Active Member

4. SprayGun

SprayGun Active Member

Instead of making your brain hurt, you should go simplified. Buy a Canon.

5. essejgnad

essejgnad poopty pangts

I've only had my d700 for a few weeks now and am still learning new things on it every day but a few things i've been doing are similar to you.

AF-ON button only for focusing, matrix usually depending on where and what im shooting but also spot at times

I mainly shoot in single shot mode, but of course there are times where the continuous focusing is needed and used. I've actually been trying to do more manual focusing also so I can open up more doors to older AI/AI-S lenses

6. Bukka

Bukka Active Member

D200 crew here.

I found the D200's Matrix mode to be dead accurate 98% of the time, so I have no problem shoting in Aperture priority while on the street, or shutter priority for moving objects while in that mode. I'll use Manual mode when I'm wanting spot metering, or when I'm using flash. My center weighted stays at about 8mm. No real reason for it, It just works for me if I use that metering mode.

I switch my Fn button from being a spot meter toggle, to being in lens data input mode for my 55 micro, depending if i'm using that lens or not.

I swaped the controlls, so the fron dial is shutter speed, and the read dial is aperture

I use the AF-ON to focus also.

For focus I mainly just use single shot, but for the odd time that I use continuous, I have it set to focus priority.

7. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

Ive always used AF-on for focus. Even back before there was a button for it on Canon's and you had to use the * button.
    I generally always use matrix and just adjust if I know Im in a tricky scene.
    Fn+Dial=Brackets
    Preview=Spot
    AEL/AFL=Virtual horizon

8. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

on the d90 i use the FN button to change focus. auto - single point - etc

i use the af/ae button to lock focus. so many times i want to compose a picture where one of my 11 focus points aren't on the right spot.

9. Etherized

Etherized Active Member

I use my d700 almost exactly the same way you have it set up. But the controls for the aperture and shutter are stock.

10. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

my fn key is set to disable my flash when held. And if i rotate the rear dial while holding fn key, it goes into bracketing.

i have the AEL button set to Live View.

21 pt focus

11. Heinzanova

Heinzanova OT Supporter

Are you usually shooting fully manual so you have no need for AE Lock?

Do you run focus on your Shutter or only with AF-ON?

12. AbortionSurvivor

AbortionSurvivor Active Member

Are you finding yourself pushing more buttons to take a shot?
    I guess i'm used to shutter doing the exposure and focus.
    I'll have to give this a try.

13. turbodude

i use manual most of the time and if its a situation where i need to get the scene exactly right, ill just adjust the EC accordingly.

i have AF on both AFon and shutter button

14. Mutombo

Mutombo New Member

I usually shoot in matrix metering, and have the Fn button to switch to spot metering. I use Af-on for focus. I think I have the other custom button for bracketing.

15. hash browns

hash browns lolcathlon champion OT Supporter

what would you like to know

16. Idyfohu

Idyfohu New Member

I've been meaning to program my buttons...maybe this is a stupid question, but I have my AF-On and Shutter to also focus, but what's the benefit of:

#1: Having AF-On do all the focusing and the shutter button only controlling the shutter?

#2: In what situation would spot metering be better than Matrix?

17. turbodude

if u have the af on button only for af it allows u to use the shutter deprease for metering. .

lets say u had it on centering meter, and taking a portrait of a girl on a sunny day.

you want her in the right of the frame. so u press the shutter when she is in the center of the metering area, then recompose and then focus.

it would would capture the scene correctly. thats just one use.

18. Heinzanova

Heinzanova OT Supporter

why 21 and not 51?

19. Idyfohu

Idyfohu New Member

I have mine at 11...51 takes too damn long to get from left to right, so I assume 21 is just right. I need to try that as 11 doesn't get in the far sides and bugs me.

20. essejgnad

essejgnad poopty pangts

Ive been using 21 also, 51 seems like a bit much to move around to get to the right focal point

21. turbodude

because event though i like the option of 51, its not realistic, 25 of those points are usless in lowlight, So i go for the cross af points only. If im shooting portraits or spports in daylight then ill use 51, but for my style of shootign 21 most of teh time.

I also set my other fn button to start a new folder.

22. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

51 + 3d tracking > *.

this feature has convinced me to drop the af-on = focus thing, now I just let the shutter half click focus, and adjust my frame with the tracking.

I also shoot on matrix metering and use the +/- exposure to get where I want. McNally convinced me to try it in The Hot Shoe Diaries, and it's worked pretty good. I use spot metering for tricky situations though, setup on the Fn button...

23. turbodude

as much as i like the 51 pts and 3d tracking, its not nearly as fast at shooting with single point servo (ie: for sports)

I commonly use 3d tracking and 51pts for portraits though.

24. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

can't say I've ever shot sports. I guess I can see how it would be too slow for that. Would be sick if they can make it fast enough though... :eek3:

For weddings and engagement shots, the 3d tracking has been ridiculous. Just lock on, and wait for them to move where you want in the frame...

Or, lock on and move the frame around, and it works just like locking the focus and re-composing, except that it guarantees they're still in focus when you shoot...

25. Heinzanova

Heinzanova OT Supporter

My issue with using matrix + ev is I often end up slightly recomposing my picture, so now meter has some more light or dark in it and adjusts ever so slightly, so maybe the ev adjustment isn't needed. Is Shutter AE-lock or just AE-On?

What do you have your AE-L and Fn and Preview set to?

But aren't only 11 of the 51 cross type?

So on the back do you usually keep it on multi point though or single?

What is the benefit / differance in behavior of 51pts vs 51pts + 3d tracking esp with portraits? I am assuming the 3d only really works when you are using a Continous drive servo mode right?

I have never used the focus engine like htat, hhrrrmmm sounds interesting.

I will have to try, so do you usually put a focus point on them, or just always focus on them in the center point?

Do you use single or continous drive servo for this??? I am guessing countinous right?