A&P NIKON crew...

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by who?, Apr 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. who?

who? Guest

ive got a project for school coming up, and part of it requires me to give the "competitive advantages" for Nikon. By that, it means why Nikon is better than everyone else..

now i am a total camera newb, BUT i have searched the net for info regarding nikon and looked into the stickies posted in this forum, and i still cant get much info on why nikon is the best. So if there are nikon users here , it would be helpful if they can tell me why they believe nikon is the best, thanks.

2. Ingen

Ingen New Member

Nikon holds the old-school brand identity that nobody who's still around can still touch. Hasselblad is known among photographers, but nikon is known by everyone, and they live up to their hype. basically, when they release something, there's not going to be anythign wrong with it, and people know they can trust nikon.

3. Hua

Hua AZN photographer crew

That seems more opinionated than factual.

4. Ingen

Ingen New Member

*shrugs* they're just older, and it's a well known name. Do you have any facts? I've only been around 17 years, and only paying any attention for 4 :(

5. ShadowWalker

ShadowWalker New Member

Hhmmm...I can prove what you stated isn't an advantage. Canon has been around forever as well, and tons of people know the Canon name. Canon is very reliable as well.

You may need to get down to the different technologies they use in their cameras if possible.

6. who?

who? Guest

doesnt matter if it's opinionated or factual, just need to fill up some blank space...
    i mean im doing a sales presentation, 95% of the ppl a. wont care b. wont know

7. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

I think Canon is better known in this country due to strong marketing. Nikon has always tried to cater to the pros while Canon's whole marketing philosophy is to get the enthusiasts on board.

Both make cameras that are pretty much equal to each other. The only advantage I can think of is that Nikon's new cameras are compatible with many more lenses. None of the new Canons are compatible with the FD mount, just EF/EF-S while the Nikons can use AF/AF-D and the older AI/AIS mounts. You have to use AI/AIS in manual mode of course, unless you get it chipped, then you get metering.

8. ( * )( * )

( * )( * ) OT Supporter

9. sony

sony Active Member

http://www.kenrockwell.com/ :hsughr:

10. mojito

mojito New Member

why did you delete the thread in the main page?

Nikon is no longer the giant. They are still a great company, but there rule was in 35mm film, but Canon has won the battle over 35mm digital.

If you wnat individual things like saying that Nikon's spot metering and color matrix system are better than Canon's we can play that game, but to say that one company is better than another overall is :greddy:

11. sony

sony Active Member

Nikon is clearly >> Canon in every single aspect of 35mm photography.

:hsugh:

12. mojito

mojito New Member

I'd put the 1VHS upagainst the F5 or 6. They all have great things about them. The Canon is a mini digital camera in som respects, able to print id info onto the film and able to download shoting data to the comp coorespoding to the film. To me its a better layout, but thats subjective as hell. Lenses is a wash, they both have good and bad ones.

13. sony

sony Active Member

With lenses, Sigma is clearly the leader in quality glass. Sigma > Canon/Nikon.

:hsugh:

14. ( * )( * )

( * )( * ) OT Supporter

You nukkas are crazy...4/3 is the future

15. Ingen

Ingen New Member

lolbrand<3thread.

The d2x just whomped the 1dsmk2 in mucho tests, i read on miranda's site (after farting around with the link one of you graciously provided).

<3 nikon 4 lyef :coold:

16. davequick

davequick New Member

No one has answered the original question.

The name Nikon, which dates from 1946, is a merging of Nippon Kōgaku ("Japan Optical") and in imitation of the Ziess Ikon - long since forgotten by most folks.

It's legendary F-mount is what has made it popular with photographers of multiple generations now. I have lenses (modified only minorly) that fit everything from an F2 to a D2x... for years there was a Nikon and everyone else - the lens coatings (correcting chromatic aberations) and the glass itself (ED = extra low dispersion + design = correct other chromatic aberations and spherical aberations) was (in my opinion) well ahead of the competition - I'd say right up until auto focus hit mainstream professionals that Nikon was well in the lead.

Canon won in the autofocus wars early on - Nikon was slow to adopt in the pro line and had a mis-step with the F3HP AF and the funky systm of lenses it used. Then the F4 hit and Nikon was on level playing field again and it's lenses still had an edge... then canon leapfrogged and also introduced a great line of fast auto focusing lenses... Nikon's F5 came out and they won again on metering system, etc. but then Canon in the mid 90s had way more silent wave focus system lenses that gained a lot of acceptance in the professional field... for the first time in major quantities newsrooms were converting to Canon. Cacnon started leading in the number of patents filed and led to market with a vibration reducing lens in the pro lineup... Nikon had a VR camera in the consumer market within japan beforehand but the point is moot - Canon had the mindshare of the professional community and now people asked why you weren't shooting Canon (and some still do).

AF-S lenses from Nikon were slow to follow and they have a (in my opinion) retarded digital story... no full frame sensor camera, sticking with DX chipset instead and only now finally up to speed with a wider range of AF-S and VR... the D2x is finally out.

The biggest recent innovation within Nikon is the creative lighting system (CLS) - I'm not 100% sure what Canon is doing to retaliate to this, but I'll tell you the CLS is the biggest advantage I see now in the Nikon world. The rest seems to be at parity with Canon and the rest of the competition or at least enough of a toss up that it doesn't matter.

17. TypeSDragoon

TypeSDragoon Guest

this is a pointless argument, ask bioyuki :)
    and tell him TypeS say's hay! :)

canon nikon canon nikon canon nikon canon nikon sticks stones sticks stones sticks stones sticks stones sticks stones sticks stones sticks stones sticks stones canon nikon canon nikon canon nikon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.