A&P Nikon Crew v.newD80

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by dooks88, Mar 23, 2007.

1. dooks88

dooks88 need some bat wings

Looks like I am joining the Nikon Crew :wavey:. Just ordered a D80 with the 18-135 kit lens from Amazon. This will be my first DSLR, so I have some questions about equipment. I want to pick up a carry bag, tripod, SD cards (which ones are the best? was looking at the SanDisk Ultra II), and a flash (sb-600 or sb-800...is the 800 worth the extra $?).

Thanks in advance! Can't wait to get this thing and learn how to use it.

2. Joetabasco

Joetabasco The Wing King

Sandisk is good... never any problems... and the 600 will be more than enough since the camera will control it wirelessly if need by... enjoy!

3. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

congratulations..great choice of a camera..get ready to be broke with all youre gonna be buying!

4. dooks88

Yep, its going to get pricey. I am just glad I waited...I wanted to buy a DSLR 2 months ago. I was on the fence and came very close to buying the Canon XTi. It's a good camera, but I am very happy that I finally realized the D80 is what I really wanted.

5. Blair

Blair New Member

you will get a million different responses about bags. they are a very personal preference; there really is not right or wrong answer when it comes to bags because it is such a personal preference.

now... if there was a specific activity you needed the bag to work for we could give you a few recommendations. but for general carry use just go to a good camera store with a lot of selection (lowe pro, tamarack, crumpler) and find one that works for you.

those SD cards will be fine. no reason to blow the bank on the latest and greatest for basic stuff on a pretty basic camera.

get the 600 and save your money.

tripod is where you should spend waaayyy more than you thought you should. a good set of legs and a nice ball head will pay large dividends in the form of lasting forever and being really stable. i personally really like the bogen "middle of the road" legs such as the 3001 and 3001PRO. not the best or most expensive but really stable and well built. the biggest problem with these legs is the weight of them on a backpack or something. but if you arent hiking it shouldnt be too much of a problem. look to gitzo if you want some high end carbon fiber or mag fiber legs.

basically with this stuff the best policy is to do your research, buy proven brands, and understand that you will grow and things will be pushed aside in favor of new toys.

6. BeachBoy

BeachBoy New Member

SB-600 enough
    bag, if you like sling: lowepro AW200 (all weather), if you prefer normal backbpack, then there's a lot more choice.
    cards: UltraII enough

tripod: as Blair said, spend more... read this: http://www.bythom.com/support.htm

7. dano

dano OT Supporter

Boo Nikon crew. :hay:

Just kiddin'. I got a smoking deal on my XTi, and to be honest, barely looked into the D80. From what I've heard it's an awesome camera, welcome to the DSLR world.

8. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

Stick with SanDisk cards if your shots are valuable or important

9. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

I just bought the D80 w/ the 18-135 kit too. I love it. :o

10. dooks88

The camera was delivered last night .:bowdown: This thing is sweet, and quite intimidating since this is my first DSLR. I have already ordered the sb-600 flash, the wireless remote, SD cards, and some books about the D80 and photography in general. I am still trying to find the right tri-pod/ball head combination, and a good cary bag. Should I be getting a lens hood?? Lens filters?? And where can I find some cheep slave flashes? Thanks for the help!:wiggle:

11. 19Godfather86

19Godfather86 New Member

I'd pick up a UV filter for the lens, just for protection. Did it not come with a lens hood?

12. BeachBoy

BeachBoy New Member

+1 for UV filter, remove it at night;)

for a good tripod review: http://www.bythom.com/support.htm (expoect to spend more than you thought... altough for now I have a cheap one and it's ok for using sometimes.

also the best book by far is the thom hogan ebook about the D80.
    first thing you shoudl do is go in your settings and put so the file numbering doens't restart at zero when you start a new card. Also you can play some other settings like "vivid" and such. even if I don't like ken rockwell, he has a good little guide on initial setup for the D80.

13. dooks88

I purchased Thom Hogans D80 ebook yesterday. I think his book will be a good place for me to start.

I have been reading tripod reviews, and one thing keeps worrying me. I am 6'4" tall, and some of the reviews say that tall people may have problems standing fully erect while usince certain tripods. I dont have any great camera stores around me to test them, just Ritz/Wolf camera.

14. BeachBoy

BeachBoy New Member

if you're tall, you can buy a 90 degrees angle viewer. It's quite nice when you're taller because you don't have to bed as much to see in the viewfinder!

15. dooks88

The hood was in the box. Didnt see it the first time...only opened one side.

16. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

Sandisk Ultra II user here and love it...

Noticeable difference over crappier cards.

17. BeachBoy

BeachBoy New Member

I have a ultraII that folds and you can read directly in the USB port. it was 10$ more, but way worth it, no more connection or card reader!

18. dooks88

I bought one Sandisk Ultra II 2 gig. Seems to wook pretty good to me.

19. 1200mk

1200mk Still same OG

i use a ridata 150x 2gb card. So far, so good.

It was like $40