A&P Nikon CLS flash crew. Please help out a noob

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by rallysport, Jun 17, 2008.

1. rallysport

rallysport New Member

I have a D80
    2 SB600's

I totally get the TTL and TTL/BL when the flash is on camera.
    But now that i got a 2nd flash for a present, ive been trying to do off camera flashes and am totally lost.

Is there anyway to have both flashes off camera and have them in TTL or (more preferably) TTL/BL mode?
    Im not even going to post any of my test shots because they all came out horrible lol

Also, when using flash off camera, is it always best to have the flash coming down onto the subject. Either by having the flash high up, or when a ceiling is present have it bounced down onto the subject? And coming from both the left and right side?

2. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

ok in order

1. Jesus lurk less please

2. IIRC the D80 has the integrated commander mode, read about it in the manual, you can set it up so it can order your two sb600 with cls, you don't need to have anything on the camera, just set in camera in commander mode and the flashes as remotes..the flashes manual also shows how to do this, its real easy onceyou get the hang of it.

3.about the subject flash, you can do a bit of everything, sometimes I put two flashes to the side and one bouncing up, it usually gives some real nice results, for example
    [​IMG]

3. rallysport

rallysport New Member

:rofl: i think 2 months ago i had like 30 posts, im doing better with lurking :)

I have no problem setting the flashes up to fire off camera, im just not sure if they are in a TTL or TTL/BL mode since the LCD only tells me the channel, group, zoom, and music symbol.

Im guessing with the D80 on board flash, the SB600s are automatically set to TTL?

BTW, awesome pic! and im not just saying that cause she looks hot ;)

4. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

did you set the d80 up as a commander?

Did you turn the flashes into wireless mode?

On the camera, when you're in the commander mode screen, you get to see the flash groups for your onboard camera, and each wireless flash group.

In that menu, you can chance each group to TTL +3/-3, or manual from 1/128 to 1/1

That is where you would tell the flashes how you want them setup.

5. rallysport

rallysport New Member

Ok, i got all that, thankyou!
    I just figured that after i did that something on the flash might indicate it, but i guess not, thanks for the help!