A&P Nikon Announces D2X

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by dmora, Sep 16, 2004.

1. dmora

dmora Guest

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0409/04091605nikond2x.asp
    Nikon has today revealed the sucessor to the D1X. The new D2X digital SLR has a 12.4 million pixel DX format CMOS sensor, by default the D2X can shoot at 5 fps, however it has an interesting 6.8 milion pixel option which reduces the sensing area (to a FOV crop of 2x) but increases the frame rate to 8 fps. Hence the D2X can be seen as two cameras in one, a 12.4 million pixel high resolution shooter and a 6.8 million pixel high frame rate shooter. Obviously the use of CMOS is new to Nikon but also new on this camera is a four channel read-out from the sensor and the ability to perform WB correction to the analogue data before it is digitized. Also new is the WT-2 wireless transmitter with 802.11 b/g support and wireless Capture Control (Nikon Capture 4.2). (06:00 GMT)

2. jTranz

jTranz Lost in Translation

Nikon has finally moved over to a CMOS sensor. Good for them. :bigthumb:

Not too thrilled with a 1.5x crop. :sad2: If this was meant to compete with the almost 2 year old Canon 1Ds it should've tried to push for the full sensor with no crop. Should be interesting to see the starting price points. I say no lower than 4k. So it looks like Nikon's flagship camera is set to compete with the 1d Mark II.

The rest of the feature set is impressive though. :cool:

3. mojito

mojito New Member

Hope they took some good notes on the 14N's failture. It's an intresting camera, and I bet Nikon users will be happy. But I don't see this persueding anyone to give up their white or red stripped lenses and move from Canon for professional use

4. Kinks

Kinks Sup. OT Supporter

So was I.. but really - everything digital tends towards smaller sizes. Simply sticking to a 35mm sensor "because that's the way it's always been done" is not really showing much foresight. Large sensors are WAY more expensive, and mean that your glass has to be bigger and heavier too. If you can get almost the same quality out of a smaller size wouldn't you rather have the smaller size, lighter lenses, and cheaper cameras? Sounds like a winner on paper, the only sticking points are "almost" same quality and people who have a big lens collection already.

Bottom line is with new wide angle DX lenses you can still cover all the focal lengths you used to. It used to bother me about the FOV crop, but buying a 70-210mm zoom and seeing how nice a 300mm FOV crop looks, I'm suitably appeased :big grin: (means I need to spend less to see further!)