A&P Nikon 35mm 1.8 vs 50mm 1.8

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Wobistdu, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

I bought the 50mm as my first prime, but I'm starting to think it's a bit too far out there. 35 would be perfect. Is the 35 similar in quality?

Not bad at only $200 bucks :dunno:

2. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

I know what you mean about the 50, especially on a crop body. Its only real use is portraits or large areas with very low light for me. And thats only if I can manage to get it to focus.

3. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

hmmm focus always works fine for me, but it's tough in a tight place for sure

4. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

Mines the Canon 50. Hopefully Nikon made their model collect a lot more light for its focus system to work with. It probably has something to do with the pathetic 25mm front element, its like looking through a straw:rofl:

5. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

crop body = 35mm
    fx = 50mm

/thread

6. niquesuave06

niquesuave06 New Member

I'm supposed to be meeting with a local guy who is thinking about trading his 35mm f2.0 w/ extension tube for my Tamron 75-300mm f4.5-5.6 (LD version). Cost-wise, I think I'd be on the better end of the deal. But if I trade, my longest lens is my 55-200mm VR and I don't know if it's worth the sacrifice :noes: I already have a 50 1.8, so I'm kinda torn as to whether or not I should trade.

Anyone have any input? :dunno:

7. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

The 35 1.8 has the same field of view on a crop sensor as the 50mm lens would on a fx body.

8. Gromer

Gromer Strange things are afoot at the Circle-K!

I love my 35mm 1.8. That being said, I shoot a D50 and haven't shot more than a few test shots in a store with the 50mm 1.8. I will say this, the focus is quiet as fuck, at least compared to my Tamron 70-300.

9. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

you definately would, considering teh 35 AFD is worth atleast 275 plus extension tubes are about a 100

10. niquesuave06

niquesuave06 New Member

Yeah, the only thing I think holding me back is the fact that I'm going to see Paul McCartney in a few weeks and would love to get my own pics. . .I got hooked up with tickets to a suite and will be going in through the VIP entrance, so I'm hoping that I can sneak in my D90 and at least 55-200 VR (if not the 75-300, just in case I need that extra reach. . .) a little easier than if I was going in through the front doors :dunno:

Once I'm inside I shouldn't have to deal with much security to speak of. The only person working for the venue who is going to be entering the suite will be our waitress, so I should be fairly free to take photos once I get inside.

Hell, who knows. If I get busted trying to sneak in "professional photo equipment" to one of the suites I might get in some trouble. Even if the venue is fairly cool about it, I'd have to deal with the owner of the suite. They have to pay $70,000/year for their suite and there's a waiting list 100+ people/businesses long, they'll be pissed if I ruffle any feathers and make them look bad trying to snap a few pics :o

That being said, I'm pretty sure I'll at least make an attempt to get the gear in. I've already been trying to think of ways to very discreetly get in the camera body and a lens. . .they mostly involve medical wrap, places my bathing suit covers, and the hope that their security at the VIP entrance sucks :rofl:

Oh, and an OT press pass to show them as they throw me out.

11. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

re-read what you just wrote. why even bother. The risk is not worth the reward. 300mm isnt gonna get you anywhere close enough to get decent pics so leave that shit at home.

12. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

I also bought the 50mm 1.8 first and then the 35mm 1.8. I now never use the 50mm.

13. niquesuave06

niquesuave06 New Member

Saw Billy Joel and Elton John at the same venue, and these were taken using my gf's mom's shitty P&S from seats that were slightly closer than where we'll be in the suite:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These could still both use some cleaning up, but they kinda give you an idea of how close we'll be. The high-ISO performance of the D90 (especially relative to that P&S) along with some actual glass should let me get some decent pics. Although I will admit your doubt has me wanting to get a little more reassurance. . .The in-house photog and I have a mutual acquaintance (we're actually both very good friends with him), I was trying to avoid pulling strings there but I might have to see what can be done on that end. I wouldn't mind having to give up rights to the photos I get, as long as I'm credited for taking them (assuming they do turn out well).

Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
  14. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

All accounts are that the 35mm is a fab lens. Just like the 50, it's made of plastic but the mount's metal. The only problem is finding someplace that has them in stock. Adorama, B&H, Amazon, and most sites on Google are backordered. And forget about finding it in a brick and mortar store.

You can get them easily on eBay for about $250 shipped. I'm not sure I want to pay that much, though. I'm going to look around a bit more this week and see if I can't get it someplace else at regular price.

http://shop.ebay.com/berryscamerash...t=0&_trksid=p3911.m270.l1313&_odkw=&_osacat=0

15. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

On second thought, it might be worth checking brick and mortar stores. I found one today at a local shop (Biggs Camera) for $209 :coold:

16. Gromer

Gromer Strange things are afoot at the Circle-K!

:werd: I had one on order at Precision Camera here in Austin, but it took a month before it came in. I had already picked one up in St. Thomas. Call local shops, have them put you on the list.

17. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

18. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

the question is, do i sell the 50 if i get this?

19. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

Depends if it's worth it you you :dunno: Most likely you can sell it without taking much of a hit since it's pretty cheap and almost new. On the other hand, you don't have a lot in it, and it's not going to drop much more in value, especially not sitting unused on a shelf most of the time.

I can think of a few situations where it might be useful... it's basically a fast telephoto prime, and you don't own any fast zooms. So any situation where light is sparse and you can't get too close to your subject. Only you know if you'd ever shoot in conditions like that, or what it's worth to you.

Luckily, this lens won't focus on my camera, so I don't have to deal with such problems. :hsd:

20. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

yeah good point i have $135 invested in it. i'm gonna think it over for the 35. i have been able to "force" myself to get the 50 to work in a lot of situations. it's rough when you're boxed in for sure

def would love a 35 though. that breathing room would be nice :)