A&P Nikon 18-200 VR worth 900 bucks?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by redna, Mar 8, 2007.

1. redna

redna New Member

Brand new and I'm a fucking procrastinator that didnt order one forever ago. I'm getting ready to take a trip to Boston and I wanted something that could get most of my focal range without having to cary around extra lenses and shit.

I found someone selling one brand new on ebay and he's local. He said that I could come pick it up if i wanted but he's asking 900 for it.

My question: Is this lens really that great that it's worth the 900 bucks? Anyone have sample shots from it? what kind of clarity are we talking here? How's the bokeh? Color saturation? etc. etc.

Essentially, should i shell out 900 bones on this lens so i can walk around and take pictures without having to switch lenses?

2. i'd say yes it's worth the money but you can find it new for cheaper.

http://www.best-price.com/procSystem,showProductSearchByUserSearch,,0,Nikon+18-200+Vr.html

It's a great travel lens because it covers a wide focal range BUT because of this fact you lose quality obviously. If you want to save up a couple more hundred and don't mind switching lenses you should get the 70-200 VR insted.

I'm a canon shooter and I do have little experience with this lens but others here probably have more experience so my opinion might not be the greatest. Anyways good luck with your decision :bigthumb:

3. redna

redna New Member

Yeah, i know i could get it cheaper... but i leave in a week. haha. That's why i was saying i was a procrastinator.

4. BLKDVLGSX

BLKDVLGSX OT Supporter

i hardly ever take the lens off my camera

5. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

It is convenient when you are traveling. But Bokeh is subpar.

6. redna

redna New Member

So..... funny story.

I call up Best Buy because that was the top of the list on that link you gave me and sure as shit they had 2 in stock for 899.99

Well, Best Buy price matches so I had them price match Ritz at 749.00 and I walked out with my new lens!

hehe...

7. Blair

Blair New Member

way to go. fuck best buy; the list on that is 749

8. redna

redna New Member

Yeah i know, not really butt hurt about it though because they price matched it to 749 anyway.

9. So you got it? :bigthumb:

10. redna

redna New Member

indeed :naughty:

If anyone wants one, the best buy by my house has one more in stock. I can get it for you for 749.99 plus tax. :wavey: I'll probably need to know like right now because I doubt it lasts through tomorrow.

11. BLKDVLGSX

BLKDVLGSX OT Supporter

exact same way i got mine, they price matched ritz

12. wow that was quick :eek3:

13. Well at least i'm happy that I talked you out of buying a used lens from a guy for $900. I just hope I didn't talk you into getting the lens in any way. :o
    Because I am not a nikon dude so I really have no say.

14. redna

redna New Member

Nah, I wanted it already, but thanks for saving me some change *high five* haha.. I was mostly just trying to decide if it was worth the extra 150 bucks because I didnt order one online and had procrastinated. Either way, if i dont like it I can sell it for more, or return it and get my money back. :big grin:

15. :h5: :bigthumb:

Haha good point! After your trip you can return it to best buy and get your money back then buy a used one online for cheaper. Best Buy FTW :bigthumb:

too bad they don't have high end canon stuff :wtc:

16. redna

redna New Member

The best buy by my house just got a really kick ass lens setup with some pretty high cost lenses. Naturally they dont have the super good shit, but they'll let you bring your body in and test out any lenses you want to. They had the 70-200 2.8 there. I'm thinking I might go try it out tomorrow... just for fun. haha. There's only 2 in AZ that have the display so far, and one is right by my house... I have a feeling it's going to cost me a lot of money. They had probably 30 lenses on display there tonight. They had just as many Canon lenses as Nikon too.

17. fatass

fatass New Member

wow, where are ya located? i'm tempted to have you get me that for $750...

also, what do you show them in the store to have them price match ritz?

edit- ah i see you are in AZ. but damn i'm tempted to get it, everyone on craigslist wants $800+ around here

18. mojito

mojito New Member

ritz was actually decent price on something?

19. BeachBoy

BeachBoy New Member

it's a very good all around lens, especially for travelling I think you'll love it, unless you are shooting moving stuff indoors no flash (it's not a 2.8).

I took pictures of a concert at 200mm 1/8s (ISO1000) and the VR worked amazingly. it's a VERY polyvalent lens and you'll proabbly not need anything else aside from maybe a cheap 50mm 1.8 for portrait indoors stuff

20. seeing you say that people in your area sell camera stuff on craigslist makes me really jealous :o

21. 1200mk

1200mk Still same OG

the VR is that good?

got any examples at 1/8?

22. Blair

Blair New Member

i have a 24-120VR (old vr) and the best i have ever been able to do is about 1/10 or 1/15 and get consistantly sharp images.

23. BeachBoy

BeachBoy New Member

24. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

How did you do the price match.

25. redna

redna New Member

I went into the store and said, "you guys price match right?" When he said yes, I told him Ritz had it for 749 and he looked it up online and gave it to me for that price.

They have a book there with all of the current price matches, so you dont even really need to know where has it the cheapest, as long as you have a cool sales guy. haha.