GUN Nightwatchmen - flashlights

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by selvo, Apr 4, 2005.

1. selvo

selvo New Member

Ive been using a mag light mainly for my guarding duties, but Ive been thinking about buying a Surefire6P flashlight, aparently they are light and super bright.

Any one tried any other maglight alternatives ?

2. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

i wouldn't call it a true alternative...it's about 10" too short and 3lbs too light. ;)

But if you're going to be using it daily, as i assume you may as a guard, you'll definitely want to get one of the rechargables. 3v batteries aren't cheap, even at internet bulk of $1 each. The 8NX is the least expensive one. More up front $ but you'll make it up within monthes or even weeks.

3. selvo

selvo New Member

cool, It would make a fine backup light. Now to find a cheap retailer who ships to AUS.

4. selvo

selvo New Member

5. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

You could use the Beast as a club as well as a vaporizing tool to burn holes in potential threats. I'm pretty sure it'd work as an illumination tool, too.

6. selvo

selvo New Member

Guards can carry firearms in Australia, but under extremely strict conditions and many states wont let non business owning guards take their firearms home. Thats why instead of ballsing up about how cool our pistols are we show off our lights and pocket knifes instead :mamoru:

7. TwoGuns

TwoGuns Medical Crew

How about a G2? About half the cost, and will probably show wear alot less.

8. footratfunkface

You can't apply physical force too well with a G2. Which is why the 6P isn't really good either. Also, the G2 has no lockout tailcap. It's a cheap piece for people who want Surefire's name, but don't want to spend the money.

9. TwoGuns

TwoGuns Medical Crew

The G2 and 6P both basically have a "lockout" cap. The G2 just doesn't have the marks to show where to line it up. It's pretty much the same thing.In fact the G2 and 6P are basically the same flashlight in the first place. If his job was that hazardous, I'm pretty sure he'd be issued pepper spray or a nightstick.

He also already said he'd be using the Surefire as a backup light.

10. selvo

selvo New Member

Under my states law no one but state and federal police can carry pepperspray, and I can only carry a batton with a pistol.

11. tusk212

tusk212 New Member

That is possibly the most illogical thing ive ever heard. they will let u carry a gun and batton, but not OC.........WOW.

12. RealFastV6

RealFastV6 OMFGh4x0rzZ!!111

Are you sure about that?

I'm quite sure that if I back the tailcap out on my G2 further then a full turn (which is where the 6P locks out), the tailcap button will still turn on the flashlight. In fact I bought one at a gunshow and ended up just tossing it into my bughomebag, but I ended up having to toss a piece of plastic inside of it between the tailcap spring and the battery for this very reason.

13. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

check out these new guys called Pentagon Lights.

http://www.pentagonlight.com/

I bought one of the X3 Xenon flashlights. I'm still waiting for it to come in though. Was told it shipped. Been on backorder. Anyways, from reading the reviews, they appear to be excellent lights for the money.

135 lumens with 3 CR123 batteries, for 60 mins, for $85 :bowdown:

14. selvo

selvo New Member

I found an online aussie based store (http://www.tkgear.com/store/) that sells the surefire 6P for $100 AU, the best price I could find locally was $170 marked down from $250 and the guy at the store was telling me it is the best deal I could find in Australia.

15. TwoGuns

TwoGuns Medical Crew

Yeah, I have a G2 and 6P among other flashlights. With the 6P, from the tailcap being completely screwed down and on, you turn it two complete full turns to "lock it out". If you make one complete turn, it's just right so you can use the momentary switch. Another complete turn out, and it locks it out. There are notches so you can line it up easier.

G2 is just the same without the notches, You just have to turn it up until it doesn't turn on anymore.

At least that's how it works with my G2. I've never had it turn on when I had it "locked out".

16. TwoGuns

TwoGuns Medical Crew

How much would shipping and importation cost? You can get a 6P around here for 60-70 bucks USD. Maybe possible it'd be cheaper if someone bought it for you stateside and sent it to you? :dunno:

17. RealFastV6

My G2 turns on with the button when the tailcap is almost completely threaded off the body of the flashlight. I'm quite sure you're mistaken. In fact, the Surefire website specifically mentions the lockout tailcap on the 6P and there is no such mention for the C2.

:run:

18. TwoGuns

TwoGuns Medical Crew

Works on mine. Sucks for you. :)

19. RealFastV6

Last edited: Apr 10, 2005
  20. footratfunkface

The G2 does NOT have a lockout tailcap. Surefire was originally planning to make a lockout tailcap for it, because people have lots of problems with the light getting accidentally turned and kept on in equipment bags and such, which blows the bulbs. Instead, they decided that if people spent the extra money on a lockout cap, they could buy a 6P or a G2Z, both of which DO have the lockout tailpiece. So, they've pretty much said they're not going to offer lockout tailcaps for the G2.

21. RealFastV6

Are you positive? :hsugh:

22. footratfunkface

Yes, I'm positive that the G2 doesn't have a lockout tailcap. Yes, I'm positive it's been causing problems since the debut of the G2, because if you leave the batteries in while the light is stored in a gear bag, it can end up blowing the bulb because of the heat. Yes, I'm positive Surefire knows this and has responded. Yes, I'm positive they've said that they're not going to make a lockout tailcap for it.

No, I'm not positive if they'll change their minds or not. Other companies make tapeswitch caps for the G2, so someone may make a lockout cap for it. Surefire does not.

23. RealFastV6

Are you sure? I mean, I'm just asking because TwoGuns says his locks out. So, are you sure mine and everybody elses isn't just broken? :mamoru:

24. TwoGuns

TwoGuns Medical Crew

Why the fuck would I lie about it? I can thread my endcap to a point where it's not going to fall off by any means, and the light doesn't come on at all. Not if you hold it down, not if you hold it down and shake it, not even if you drop it.

Do I care if it doesn't work on yours? Not really, cause it works on mine, and that's fine with me.

25. spyder007

spyder007 Bаnned bу Ѕuреr Μоdеrаtоrs

FWIW: I've stuck with streamlight products for years. I have the stinger and the sl20. Both have served me quite well :dunno: