SRS Night sweats

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by vizyn, Jun 1, 2009.

1. vizyn

vizyn New Member

not sure if this is the appropriate place to post this..

Anyone ever had to deal with night sweats? Early March I started getting them.. but I have never had them before. I wake up absolutely drenched in sweat regardless of the room temperature.. I have to change my bed sheets and anything I'm wearing. I had a cold at the time and figured it had something to do with having a fever...

They went away for a little bit in April but they're back, and I'm a little concerned. I guess I should make an appointment to go see my doctor. Any idea if its likely to just be caused from stress/anxiety?

2. Sgt. Friday

Sgt. Friday Guest

what are you eating before bed?

3. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

http://www.medicinenet.com/night_sweats/article.htm

The problem is that a whole range of symptoms can cause night sweats, but for the spontanous , you'd be thinking more in the range of infections or taking anti-depressants, what happend to you a few months ago? Or did you do or experienced anything different?

4. PcH

PcH Guest

I had night sweats for about 3-4 days straight. They stopped. I think it was a combination of things. Stress, playing video games right before going to sleep, eating too soon before sleeping, room temperature. All of these things I adjusted and I haven't had a problem.

5. vizyn

vizyn New Member

Depends - usually either cottage cheese/natty PB/casein protein on days I work out, or nothing.

6. vizyn

vizyn New Member

The only thing that stands out is that I got sick and it lasted for a few weeks before I felt 100% again. I haven't changed any of my lifestyle habits.

7. vizyn

vizyn New Member

Also, I have NEVER experienced them before in my life. I tend to be a pretty high-anxiety person but I'd consider this point in my life to be pretty low-stress.

8. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

Only this this really happens to me is when there is something I am very stressed out about occurring on the day... like writing a hard exam or a job interview I'm not too sure about. So stresss & anxiety can most definitely cause them.

9. moses

moses OMGWTFBBQ

had any unprotected sex lately?

10. vizyn

vizyn New Member

yes, but this started occuring before that.

11. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

I too have them severely. In my case an infectious disease is responsible. I don't know of anyone who constantly sweats from anxiety to such a point they have to change (especially multiple times).

I would see a doctor, and I would "not" bring up Anxiety or anything else unless asked. Let them figure it out and then consider sharing your perspective. This way they don't automatically put you into a box immediately, which is a common practice.

Say depression, and that's exactly where they often focus. So autoimmune, and that's where they focus. Not "always" obviously, but you get the point.

Has anything happened since March that you recall? Did your diet change, were you bitten by any insects, sexual activity? Did you get the flu, or any particular life changes? Did you move, or go on vacation?

Edit: I see you answered some of my questions.

When you got sick, did you have debilitating fatigue or any other symptoms that stand out?

12. vizyn

vizyn New Member

Diet didn't change at all. No insect bites that I am aware of. I got pretty sick and it lingered for quite some time, in fact my doctor said he could still feel some swelling during a checkup about 3 weeks ago. No particular life changes that I can think of. Didn't move. Went on vacation to Cozumel, Mexico but I had the night sweats before I went.

Swollen glands/sore throat were the prominent symptoms - I had little to no nasal congestion/phlegm.

13. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

Were you sweating during your illness? Did the sweats begin before or after?

14. vizyn

vizyn New Member

Almost at exactly the same time. I remember thinking I got sick from making out with a chick who was sick, and the night sweats started right around that same time.

I think it started with a cough however, but not much congestion. The cough lingered for what seemed like forever, but the most noticable part was the sore throat/swollen glands.

15. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

This could be a lingering infection. Did you have an ABC or CBC done? This is lab work which checks the nature of your blood counts, immune system, health of blood cells, potassium, etc.

16. vizyn

vizyn New Member

No I didn't.

17. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

Get one done. Also, get a basic panel for common infections, like Mycoplasma Pneumonia, Epstein Bar, Chlamydia Pneumonia. (You can ask the doctor to run these and some others her or she feels are needed -- as long as insurance will cover it, which they should if you have it.)

I obviously am not a physician and can't diagnose anything, but I can tell you that if I was a physician I'd be looking at the blood count first to see if the numbers are up.

18. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

It could have been Influenza A. It's been active in the population alongside Swine. It could be more than one thing also, so the testing is probably wise.

19. vizyn

vizyn New Member

Appreciate the advice, thanks.

20. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

Do you remember more specifically if the sweats began "before" or after your experience with the girl?

21. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

Remember to let the physician investigate and provide his ideas first before you make some suggestions to add in. He/she will very likely include some of your ideas, so waiting until after is best.

Let us know how things go and what happens.

22. Deadhead9150

Deadhead9150 Banned

I wake up drenched every morning. If I wear anything to bed I wake up with it sticking to my body.

23. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

It's not normal to have it happen every night. Make sure to consider some of the ideas I gave this kid.

I have to change my clothing anywhere from 4-10 times per night. It got worse for awhile when I started treating Babesia, which is a blood parasite similar to Malaria. One of it's main symptoms besides feeling flu-like symptoms is chronic severe night sweats which are "extreme." The infection is usually not chronic in the general population until an individual becomes immune compromised in some way.

Mine is chronic and needs antimalarial therapies, like Artemesia, Mepron, Zithromax, Malarone, etc.

24. vizyn

vizyn New Member

I can't remember one way or another unfortunately, it was very close to being around the same time.

Edit: looking back at the dates she was in town I'm pretty sure it happened after.. however for some reason I feel like I might've been concerned about her spending the night and having it happen with her next to me.. blah

25. johan

johan Active Member

drenching night sweats should always be considered a medically significant issue.

Combined with swollen lymph, that suggests a lymphatic borne illness. I won't alarm you by discussing the range of possibility.

Just go in to your doctor asap. A CBC will tell all.

Be sure and update here.