GUN Night sights

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by RyeLou, Mar 6, 2009.

1. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

Trijicon is known to everyone. I see a lot of you guys talk about "Big Dots". I looked in to those...I take it you prefer those over something like the Trijicon ones?

For the "big dot" ones, it seems like the actual front sight is larger, but the actual tritium part is smaller.

I'm looking for the 229 that is on its way.

I'll just ask here, too. Hogue grips?

2. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

The lamp is the same size. It just appears smaller due to the larger surrounding white dot.

Big Dots are inherently less precise (which is not to say that, with familiarization, you won't be able to keep tight groups) but they will ease your ability to quickly find your front sight in a wider range of lighting conditions and put rounds into a reasonably sized target area for defensive use. This ease, particularly on dynamic targets, is why many favor them for defensive purposes. They use the excellent Trijicon lamps as well.

3. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

Having used both Trijicons and Big Dots, I prefer the latter. Faster at the expense of precision.

I like my Hogue and Pachmyer grips. My carry G19 has Big Dots and a Hogue grip.

4. Jas0n

Jas0n Антихрист

For the Sig, Hogues come highly recommended. Can't comment on the sights - mine are factory night sights and I love them, but they're also on a Glock.

5. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I prefer a fiber optic front sight paired with a flashlight or weapon light. A light an night sights really don't work well, there is a lot of bloom. The fiber optic front is also much better in daylight as opposed to that super wide front on most night sights.

6. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

What are you planning on using the gun for? Big dots are a fighting sight, they are intended for self defense shooting, they aren't made to shoot tight groups.

7. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

Should have mentioned that. It will be my primary carry gun. I think I might give the big dots a try.