A&P Night Shots

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Fuck, Sep 3, 2006.

1. Fuck

Fuck caffeine free

Critique/Comment my Night Shots

I was wanting to get some feedback on my night shots. The first picture was edited in PS and the lighting is intentional (I.E. light looks yellow). I don't have the original here at work, I may post it later if this one even gets any critiques/comments. The second picture is from the 4th of July. I didn't do any post processing in PS with these yet except for cropping. This was my first attempt to shoot fireworks at night. I have a few other pics in my deviantart gallery. Critique wanted and welcomed. :hs:

Edit: I guess my last links did not work, hopefully you guys can see these this time..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2006
  2. ( * )( * )

( * )( * ) OT Supporter

3. Hua

Hua AZN photographer crew

4. Fuck

Fuck caffeine free

... any critiques/suggestions?

5. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

What camera/lense setup are you rocking?

When I used to work a photography studio, we used Nikon D70's with stigma lenses. I'd raise the ISO pretty high (above 800), set the white balance to a little cold (so it turns a little blue) then set the shutter speed accordingly (a few seconds depending on the light source)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There's a few. They arn't photoshopped either.

6. Fuck

Fuck caffeine free

I'm using a D70s with a Sigma 18-50mm F3.5-5.6 DC for the first shot and a Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG MACRO for the fireworks shot. I want to get my lighting down better so there's not such dark spots in areas. I know in this instance there was a huge lack of light on my street but it just doesnt seem to come out the way I want. I really like the effect you get with your ISO and white balance settings. I think the first picture is a little more saturated with blues than I'd like but it's brilliant looking. The last bridge pic is :bowdown: . Also do you use any post porcessing in PS for other shoots? I know you said you didn't for these.

7. :bowrofl: @ username

8. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

I agree with you on the first bridge pick being too blue but in person it's a bright blueish purple so when you have such a long shutter speed with the w/b like that, it turns out the way it did. It actually won me a few awards in some art fairs around the area.

Those pics are pretty much right off the camera then into photoshop to be resized/cropped. No editing to the lighting what so ever. They do look better when I copy the image, layer it on top, and then put one of the effects on it. I haven't used PS in quite awhile so the name is slipping my mind. On portraits and such we do use some post editing but alot of the scenery stuff is straight off the camera.

All I can say is try raising your ISO quite high (even try 1600), keep your f-stop as low as possible (the lowest your lense will go), and set the shutter speed on whatever seconds you will need it, probably around 4-6 seconds.

Here are some random ones-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pans-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Fuck

Fuck caffeine free

Thanks for the great advice. I'm gonna try to head to the zoo this weekend and see what comes of it. These two pictures are what I really want to get into. I love portrait photography more than anything. The tones and contrast in both of these two photos is exactly what I like. Again thanks for the tips, I'm going to see how it goes.

10. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

not feeling either of them...where's the story? what are you trying to do?

11. nicklk

nicklk New Member

This picture is rediculously bad ass!!! :bowdown:

12. Fuck

Fuck caffeine free

No story here. Just trying out night shots and these happened to be from the two attempts I've tried. I guess that would be the story.. ?? anyways, I'm more just looking for critiques as to improve my shots. Any tips or advice on composition and what not. I'm not really looking for anything more than that at this point. I just can't stand how everything seems either too dark or too light, there doesn't seem to be a good medium.

13. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

Thanks. I really like the contrast between hot and cold. We weren't using any wide angle lenses on any of the pans, just a good old sigma lense then photoshopped them together. It was pain with the water, getting it to look natural but it turned out really nice.

14. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

15. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

Yes.

You have to record actions in photoshop. I can't tell you off the top of my head but there should be a small red circle in your tool bar and after you press it, it will record any action you do after that then you stop it. Now whenever you need it (in this case the boarder) you would press that action and it will automatically do it for you.

16. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

cool, I'll look into that thanks

17. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

thats one of the problems...you should be telling a story with your photos unless you capture a photo by accident and it comes out better than you expected. I generally have something im looking for before I go shoot which is the basis of the story.

18. Fuck

Fuck caffeine free

I would agree with you on this except for when it's strictly for testing purposes and trying to find the best settings to go on a meaningful shoot.

19. DeeRock

DeeRock New Member

Do a search for "Batch Processing".

20. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

I find this approach is better used when photographing people/clients.

When it comes to night to photography I just really want to capture the essence of beauty that all the lights have through the darkness.

21. sLpFhaWK

sLpFhaWK www.JJiGz.com

Can I get full rez of the first pic? i really dig that pic..

22. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

Sure, I don't have it right now since I'm on the library computers but I will post it up.

I have a better angle of that photo as well from the other side, I just couldn't find it when I posted that one up.

I will let you know it's super grainy. D70 on 1600 ISO :ugh:

23. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

24. Spurious

Spurious New Member

Why would you bump a thread from like 2 years ago?

25. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

retard