A&P Night shots come out RED!

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by BlackWRX02, Mar 11, 2003.

1. BlackWRX02

BlackWRX02 OTs Cingular Guru

why is that? I used a longer exposure and they came out red. The lighting was yellow from parking lot lights, but I cant see that as being the cause. Its something I"m not setting up right within the camera options. :confused:

2. TypeSDragoon

TypeSDragoon Guest

example pic?

3. BlackWRX02

I lightened it up some in photoshop on this one..
    [​IMG]

one straight out of the camera is like this:
    [​IMG]
    very grainy..i know :o

4. Joe

Joe 2015 :x: OT Supporter

did you print it, get somone to print it, or scan the film?

some minilabs have auto machines that try and detect white balance and usually end up screwing up the photo....

5. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

My guess is that the lights in the photo are a type of mercury vapor lamps that have a color tempreture around 2000K. You are using a film rated for daylight (5600K) thereby the "warmer" lights will come out red/orange. If you're using a digital camera, try setting the color temp closer to tungsten.

Cheers
    Jim

6. BlackWRX02

yeah, these were taken on a Nikon CoolPix 885 Digital

7. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

With a digital camera, you can "fool" the white balance of the camera into giving you warmer or cooler photos by putting either a blue or orange gel in front of the lens when you white balance. White balance with a blue gel and you will get a "warmer" or reddish color in your photos. An orange gel will give you "cooler" results. You can get gels at many photo supply or theatarical supply stores. The gels specifically intended for color correction will be called CTO or CTB.

cheers
    Jim

8. Wha

Wha Guest

Try different white balance settings or preset it if your camera has that feature.

9. mrdeucie

mrdeucie Member

The Nikon 885 has a problem with Chromatic Abberation and I think this is what the red color can be attributed too. If you read the review on dpreview.com about the camera it speaks of it.

10. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

I don't think that Chromatic Abberation is the problem here. I see this same red shift on video cameras all the time whenever we film under certain types of halaogen lights.

From the little I remember about Chromatic Abberation from photography school, it wouldn't cause this much of a color shift. Besides, if memory serves, Chromatic Abberation affects the lens, not the camera. You would get the same shift in all your photos.

Cheers
    Jim