MIL Night contacts?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by jeffreyliu838, May 11, 2009.

1. jeffreyliu838

jeffreyliu838 New Member

2. thekinggovernor

thekinggovernor OT Supporter

wait, what?

3. cossack

cossack Resident thread killer

4. jeffreyliu838

jeffreyliu838 New Member

Night contacts are a kind of contact lens where when you put them in your eye, they reshape your eye to repair your vision. I'm curious because I kinda wanna get them (I hate glasses) but I won't if they'll disqualify me for the military.

5. Off

Off Memento Mori

that sounds fishy

how much research has been done on these things?

6. jeffreyliu838

jeffreyliu838 New Member

I don't really know. I do have several friends that use them though. I'm actually surprised that noone here's heard of them, lol.

7. jeffreyliu838

jeffreyliu838 New Member

Still in the dark here D:

8. G_Ranger

G_Ranger New Member

If these devices are permanently emplaced in the eye then you may have to worry about it. If they are temporary and can be removed then you have nothing to worry about. The military will just make you take them out when you have your eye exam anyways. While in basic training and AIT most times you are not authorized to wear anything except standard issue eyewear. You can usually get away from the gay looking brown framed ones after you get out basic training.

Additionally your not authorized any contact lenses during field excersizes and deployments (although people do it anyways). Poor eyesight wont get you disqualified altogether, but may limit job choices. Overall if considering joining the military you might as well not even tell them you have ever worn or considered wearing this contraption.

9. OniMinion

OniMinion ...recalls when this forum was actually about cars OT Supporter

That looks like total BS!

10. jeffreyliu838

jeffreyliu838 New Member

D: I still don't have an answer, guys! This is a legit corrective method. I have a few friends that use them, with really good results. Like. The first few days/weeks are supposedly a bitch, but they have like 20/20 after that. They just have to sleep with some contacts on, pop them out after they wake up, and bam. Good vision.

Last bump before I give up. I'd still like to know if previous usage of these would disqualify me for service.

Thanks.

11. I cant see why previous usage would disqualify you

Like ranger said, you just would be able to wear them during basic and exercises and deployments. the reasoning (IIRC) is that you cantproperly sanatize them and can cause major infections. And during deployments because some chemical agents will bond with them and can still get into your body after you have the mask on.

Vision problems are not an automatic disqualification. Hell I wear a -6.5 in each eye and cant pass the depth perception test. But Im still in. It will prevent you from getting certian jobs (most flying career fields wont let you in without depth perception and if you are over a certain perscription)

in the end the only real way to know would be to ask a recruiter.