A&P nice digital vs nice 35mm

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by IntheWorks, Sep 17, 2002.

1. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

OK, I'm starting to get into photography... right now I've got a Sony cypershot 1.3 mp dig. camera... nothing special... but I've decided to drop the money on something nice.. but I don't know if I want to stay digital or go with a 35mm..... what would be the pro's and cons of each?

Josh

2. bioyuki

bioyuki Ich habe Angst

Digital SLRs are still pretty expensive. Right now a good prosumer DSLR can be had for 2k.

3. MA70

MA70 Guest

digitals biggest advantage is cost per photo...if you take 100 pictures and all but 2 of them suck...then you've only spent a couple of bucks to get those two printed.

digital is also imediate..I had a friend who shot digital photos at his relatives wedding, went back to his hotel room after the wedding, did some basic adjustments, printed them out, and presented the couple with them at the reception....completely showed up the professional photographer.

4. ibewill

ibewill New Member

35mm slr is better than digital. you can get larger prints with film and the quality is a lot better.

5. IntheWorks

Any suggestions for a good 35mm? and one that won't drain my wallet?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2002
  6. Braiker

Braiker Guest

Nikons are my fav when it comes to SLR cams, but they run a bit more expensive than other brands. But believe me, they are worth every penny.

7. bioyuki

bioyuki Ich habe Angst

You can get a Nikon N80 with a 28-80 f/3.3-5.6G AF lens for just 490 after rebates. The N80 has just about all the features you need. Most people won't need a F100 or a F5.

If you want something a little cheaper take a look at the N65. If you want prices look at www.adorama.com and www.bhphotovideo.com .

8. ibewill

ibewill New Member

dont get a kit. you are better off getting the body and a 50mm f1.4 or 1.8 lens depending on how much you want to spend. i suggest getting an older manual focus camera. i got my canon ae-1 off of ebay for 180$ with a 50mm f1.8 lens.

9. bioyuki

bioyuki Ich habe Angst

Why get an old manual focus camera when you can get a nice new AF SLR for so cheap nowadays? If you buy an old camera the lenses won't be compatible with newer cameras as well. I do agree with buying a good 50mm f/1.8 lens though. A lot of people these days don't realize how great a good prime can be.

10. flatlander22

flatlander22 Guest

"If you buy an old camera the lenses won't be compatible with newer cameras as well"
    This isn't always true. You can buy into the older mount Nikon and still use the older lenses on the newer bodies such as the F100, F5, and some on the N90s. "
    Why get an old manual focus camera when you can get a nice new AF SLR for so cheap nowadays?"
    I really really hope you are talking about lenses, and not camera bodies...
    And agreed. Prime lenses are your best bet. But if you buy into newer camera systems (like the Nikon N/F series) expect to spend a pretty penny on most prime lenses that carry the Nikkor name. But then again you can always buy 3rd party with Sigma or even Tokina.
    And when you ask people for advice on what kind of camera you should buy, you should provide a little more information...
    what are you going to be shooting?
    Do you actually want to learn about photography, or just let the camera do the thinking?
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    etc...

11. bioyuki

bioyuki Ich habe Angst

I would only buy a camera nowadays that takes D or G lens. My camera will take many non-CPU lenses but you lose matrix metering, autofocus, PSA shooting modes etc. It won't take Nikkor IX lenses as well. Now Nikon is using DTTL as well so you won't be able to use newer speedlights.

And whats wrong with a N80 or even a N65? That body will fulfil just about any amateur user's needs and they're very cheap.

12. IntheWorks

Well it will mainly just be a hobby, but in time I do eventually want to "learn" about photography.... this is just a starter camera. I want something that will take decent/good pictures without draining my bank account, and then eventually someday down the road I will purchase a better camera. I don't want to get in with something over my head.... know what I'm saying?

13. flatlander22

flatlander22 Guest

Yeah, I understand that.. I wasn't dissing the N80, or the N65. Well, maybe the N65. I don't see the point in paying 300 for a camera (N65) that has only like 5 more useful purposes than a P&S. Hell, I own a F70....Nevermind me.
    I shot my first wedding......oh man, that was some scary shit. :big grin: