Nice app for all you Boot Camp users!!!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Lat, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Lat

Lat New Member

May 31, 2003

Latest version: HFSExplorer 0.11 (changelog):Description

HFSExplorer is a handy application for extracting files from an HFS+ volume (Mac OS Extended) located either on a physical disk, or in a file.
    Potential users:
    • Users of Intel Macs running Windows XP with Boot Camp (primary usage scenario, as it's my own reason to develop the app).
    • Owners of HFS+-formatted iPods, that wish to access their content from within Windows or elsewhere (a user emailed me and verified that this works).
    • Users of PearPC or similar Mac emulation/virtualization software that wish to access the contents of their virtual hard disks (will only work if the disk image is stored in raw format, as in PearPC).
    • People that need to access the contents of HFS+-formatted .dmg files (they will have to convert the .dmg to iso first with DMGExtractor).
    The program is written mostly in Java 1.5, with Windows-specific parts written in C (to be able to get raw access to block devices, which seemed impossible with the standard API). Written mostly for a Windows environment, it has also been tested in OS X, using the standard Java APIs, with success (unix systems have far less problematic ways of accessing block devices). Other unix-clones will probably work as well.
    This is an early version, and will work most smoothly with Windows XP SP2 x86, and Java 1.5.0. It has not been optimized one single bit. The user interface is also very beta. However it does its job.
    I also have had a very limited testing set of HFS+ volumes. Keep in mind that old HFS volumes (Mac OS Original) or HFSX volumes (Mac OS Extended with case sensitive file names) are not supported, though there is a chance that HFSX volumes might work to some extent (this has been verified by one user, but I don't think it will work completely anyway).

First make sure you have Sun's Java 2 Runtime Environment 1.5.0 or greater. Second, make sure you have administrator privilegies.
    Extract the zip-file with the program to a location of your choice and run/click runfsb.bat (Windows) or (Unixes) to start the graphical interface.
    Two menu alternatives will be there for all users:
    • Load file system from file
    • Load file system from file with APM
    The first option is for when the HFS+ file system, or the partition that the HFS+ file system resides in, is represented by a file in your current file system. For example in OS X, you would use this with files like /dev/disk0s2.
    The second option means that the HFS+ file system is embedded inside a real disk image using the Apple Partition Map as partitioning system. This usually is the case for CD images created in OS X, and hard disks formatted under the PowerPC versions of OS X.
    Windows users will have two additional alternatives:
    • Load file system from device
    • Load file system from device with APM
    This is because block devices in Windows are not as easily accessible as under unix-systems. The user will be presented with a dialog where he/she can choose which partition to read. If partitions are detected correctly, the naming scheme is as in the following examples:
    • Harddisk0/Partition0 - The entire first hard drive
    • Harddisk0/Partition1 - First partition on hard drive 1
    • Harddisk0/Partition2 - Second partition of hard drive 1
    • Harddisk1/Partition1 - First partition on hard drive 2
    Hard disks are enumerated from 0 upwards. Partitions, on the other hand, are enumerated from 1 and upwards, with Partition0 representing the whole drive. Keep that in mind when looking for your HFS+ partition.
    If there's nothing in the list, take a look in your system using WinObj from Sysinternals to see if you can find what you are looking for.
    There is also a minimal text mode program, which is started by invoking hfsx.bat/ Invoking the script file with no arguments prints usage instructions.
    Plans for a future version:
    • Nicer GUI
    • Drag and drop (to some extent..)
    • Ability to view information about files in the file system
    • Progress bar with speed indicator when extracting files
    • Cleanup and optimization of code
    • Creation of a java library for HFS+ (if anybody needs it)
    • Ability to open DMG files and browse them on the fly (actually integration with another application I've written, DMGExtractor)
    • Write support? (Shouldn't be too difficult, but tedious)
    • Your suggestion...?
    The program is released under the GPL. It operates in read-only mode so it is extremely unlikely to cause any harm. I need some feedback, as I've only tested this on my computer and some disk images.
    As usual with software like this: It is provided for free with NO WARRANTIES. It's in a state of "It works for me, mostly", so don't expect much yet.
    Erik Larsson ([​IMG])
  2. xenon supra

xenon supra New Member OT Supporter

Feb 3, 2005