GUN NFA item storage.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by DrewDown, Dec 1, 2007.

1. DrewDown

DrewDown OT Supporter

Me and my father were thinking about going half on a nice safe. If we did this, would it be kosher for me to store my suppressor in it? Seeing as we would both have access to it I assume not. In which case could I just buy a small tiny safe that I can bolt to the ground or wall?

2. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

Nope, the item should only be readily accessible to the person it is registered to.

3. DrewDown

DrewDown OT Supporter

Makes sense. Thanks!

4. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

Or, you could go halfs on a suppressor and form a LLC or other type of incorporation, living trust etc and then dual access to said NFA item wont matter as long as you are both members, officers etc.

5. Want2race

Want2race Fearless

yep.. trust ftw!

6. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

So, since my fiance has access to the safe in our house would it be a violation for me to have a suppressor in it? Or since we share a house and are going to be married it's ok?

I wish I had a suppressor so this could be a problem:o

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

cant you get a lockbox to store in the safe... that way she can access the safe, but not the keyed lockbox inside?

8. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

Correct you would be in violation.

9. RonJeremey

RonJeremey OT Supporter

A trust is the ONLY way to do this man. It's stupid to go other ways.

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

anyone have an answer for this??? very interested :x:

11. RonJeremey

RonJeremey OT Supporter

That would prevent him from accessing the item so I don't see why it doesn't fit the criteria.

12. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

david, I know you've got, or had quite a few NFA items. What laws do you KNOW of (maybe link to the text) that put requirements or limits on access to NFA items? I've never heard of any, but maybe you've read more than I.

13. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

I believe it was published in the ATFs NFA handbook. But also from talking with ATF agents and researching case studies of charges brought up for improper storage of the item.

14. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

http://books.google.com/books?id=9e..._hY&sig=YaGOB7yeIv1PXV1fLV739A-LFGw#PPA187,M1

Page 186 or thereabouts its somewhere in there I dont have the time to find it.

15. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

but basicly it says any person in possession of a NFA item without being its registered owner is subject to a 250,000 dollar fine and forfature of the vehicle,airplane, house etc etc etc the item was in.

16. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

If I get a SBR, or a can, it would be registered either to me or my trust. If I went to the range with friends (who are not me, and are not officers of the trust) would it be legal for them to shoot my SBR or firearm with my can under my direct supervision? Or is that a no-no?

17. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Legal for you to let them shoot it. You just aren't allow to lend it to them for the weekend or leave it at anyone's house but yours if you aren't there.

18. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

They can shoot it and play with it. But you have to be in the vacinity or thereabouts.

19. DrewDown

DrewDown OT Supporter

Thanks for the info everyone. I have another question. Would it be irresponsible (if even legal) to keep it a suppressor in this?

[​IMG]

I could first bolt it to the wall and put a better padlock (abus) on it. Then buy one of the smaller lockbox/safes to put inside the locker. It wouldn't be as ideal as a big safe but I think it would suffice for the short term. If possible I would like to hold off on a safe because I hope to buy my own place in about 6 months.

20. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

Did you read that at all?

We were talking about storage of NFA items, not possession. If two people live in the same home, they can share a safe for the storage of their NFA items. Access is NOT the same as possession. You can leave your NFA items laying around the house if you want. If they're all in your name only, no one is going to be arrested for possession of those items. My wife cannot be arrested for possession of my silencer just because I'm not at home. Likewise, I know of no law that would specifically require any NFA item to be secured or stored in any particular manner.

21. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

this is a useful site. www.atf.gov

Here is a link to the NFA specific part of the sight

http://www.atf.gov/pub/nfab/

Here is a quote from that section of the sight

I will go so far as to bold, italisize and underline the relevant part of the quote to make this easy for you.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Storage of NFA Firearms [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]To avoid unauthorized transfers, registrants must store NFA firearms so that no one else has access to them. Firearms may be stored at locations other than the address on the firearm registration form, such as a safe deposit box. However, unless the registrant is a Federal firearms licensee who has paid the special (occupational) tax to import, manufacture, or deal in NFA firearms, the NFA Branch should be notified in writing of the new storage location. [/FONT]

Thank you for playing, If you leave your NFA items laying around the house and you are the sole registrant and the ATF comes to Visit let me know how prison, house forfature, and that 250,000 dollar fine work out for you.

22. skeletor25rs

Might as well make your own suppressor illegally, less chance of a spontaneaous ATF visit:rolleyes:

23. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

I know people who have been into NFA items for years and no one I know has ever had a visit.

24. skeletor25rs

I just think the whole thing is stupid, and I'm probably not going to participate. $200 for this, $200 for that. Put a lockbox in your $1500 safe so your wife can't get to it. Fuck 'em, Fuck 'em all. :squint:

25. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

its the law mate, what can you do. Either go with it, vote it down, or when that fails extreme violance.