GUN NFA case against ex cops dropped

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Apr 28, 2007.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Firearms case against 3rd trooper dismissed
    Rifles at firing range touched off charges
    Associated Press

EAST ST. LOUIS --
    The U.S. government has dropped charges against the last of three Illinois State Police officers who had been accused of illegally having machine guns.

James Crowe, a federal prosecutor, on Tuesday dropped a felony charge that Special Agent John Yard of Collinsville illegally possessed a machine gun. In exchange, 37-year-old Yard accepted responsibility and will do 30 hours of community service.

Charges against Illinois State Police Sgt. James Vest, 40, of O'Fallon and Senior Master Trooper Greg Mugge, 52, of Jerseyville already had been dismissed.

A fourth defendant, Harold Griffiths of Spaulding, Ill., is scheduled for trial in August on related federal charges. But Crowe told the judge Tuesday "there have been communications" between both sides, signaling charges against Griffiths also soon may be addressed.

The three troopers and Griffiths were indicted in January 2006 after officers were seen with automatic AR-15 and M-4 rifles the year before at a Greenville federal prison's firing range.

There was no claim any of the defendants used the weapons in any crimes.

Yard told investigators that he had gotten an AR-15 from Griffiths, according to court documents.

Griffiths, 70, told authorities he was unaware the AR-15 was fully automatic when he bought it, adding that he had been a California reserve officer for 10 years and bought many of the guns he owns during that time. Griffiths said he offered an AR-15 to Yard, a friend, who wanted "a more powerful weapon in today's environment."

The prosecution of the case collapsed after Vest argued that the federal law banning unlicensed possession has an exception for law enforcers. The government countered that the exception applies to a department, not to individual officers.

A federal judge threw out the case against Vest last August, ruling the federal law "unconstitutionally vague."

Mugge pleaded guilty last July to a charge of possessing an unregistered, fully-automatic AR-15. But that officer later successfully asked a judge to throw out the case.

Mugge has retired. Yard and Vest were relieved of duty with pay pending an administrative review, a State Police spokesman has said.

In court Tuesday, U.S. District Judge Michael Reagan offered to write Yard a letter of support. When Reagan asked if he had his job back, the trooper replied, "I believe so."

Afterward, Yard's lawyer, Bill Lucco, called the outcome "a good ending to a strange and bizarre journey."

-------------

Of course if this was you or me we'd be doing 10 in club fed.

2. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

Double standards a bitch.

3. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

That pisses me off like you wouldn't believe.

4. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

I don't think that the prosecutors and courts would be so kind to the average civillian as to send one of us to club fed ... I'm sure they could find accomodations in "pound me in the ass federal prison" for you alongside murders, rapists, and other violent criminals since the mere posession of a non-NFA weapon by the general populace could potentially destroy organized civilization as we know it.

5. Keesh

Keesh New Member

I hate double standards.

6. Gimik

Gimik New Member

so they're not even getting felonies?

I guess I can only hope I get that kind of break if something like that ever happens :hs:

7. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :ugh: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
    If it happens to you or me say hello to your new roomie for the next 10 years
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2007
  8. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Felonies? They're getting rehired as LEO's.

9. Gimik

Gimik New Member

jesus. that's insane. Not that anyone should go to prison for this crap, but they make the rules, they should have to follow them too.

10. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

that has to be the first time that somebody got off on the ignorance excuse.

11. Alphaeus

Alphaeus New Member

A Jim Crowe Law?

12. CPipes

CPipes Shit definitely just got real!! OT Supporter

How the fuck??? :ugh:

Not only that but he got it thrown out AFTER pleading guilty. What a fucked up system.

13. Small Block LSX

Small Block LSX BMW | N54 | LSX | Gun | PS3 | Parent | Night CREW

That's a crock of bullshit. :(

14. Anders 7

Anders 7 I aim to misbehave OT Supporter

First let me state that any law abiding citizen should be able to own full autos.

What fucked up attorney presses charges against law enforcement for having a tool like the full auto rifle? Whats the point? What are the Officers doing wrong? There are bigger "crimes" to be focusing on rather than harrassing people for peity shit like this. Jesus fuck.

15. Anders 7

Honestly why take them to court in the first place? Why go after Officer's for having the tools to do their job? :ugh: The Prosecutor must have had a grudge against them or the dept.

16. CPipes

That's the point. Them being law enforcement shouldn't matter one way or the other. There is a law (petty ass law) and they broke the law. They should be dealt with just like any other regular citizen would have been.

I totally agree with your argument and that argument should apply to all law abiding citizens.

17. Anders 7

A vague law that wasn't clear enough to charge them with anything. The law was never meant to be applied to law enforcement.

18. Gimik

Gimik New Member

Why should it apply to us, but not law enforcement?

19. striker754

striker754 Chillin

Show me where it says this doesnt apply to law enforcement.

20. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

Your new cell mate, Thunder dick

*cell door slams*

:noes:

21. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

Fuck I got arrested for drinking underage and they wanted me to pay $100 or do 10 hours communtiy service. What a fucking ripoff. Just because they enforce the law dpesnt mean theyre above it

[​IMG]
    I AM the law!!!

22. Anders 7

It shouldn't but don't condemn law enforcement for wanting tools to do their job.

23. Gimik

Gimik New Member

wait... what? Who's condemning law enforcement for doing their job? We're saying the courts are NOT doing their job because they're letting the LEOs off really easy just because they're LEOs.

24. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

From the sound of things these weren't guns they were using at there patrol carbines they were just guns they had to have fun with, they should be treated like any other citizen would be. If they wanted them for patrol carbines they would of just got them on dept letterhead and been fine.

25. CPipes

You're probably taking it too personal. I don't think anyone here is actually condemning the officers for having the guns and i'd assume everyone here would support the officers being able to have the guns. The big problem for us is the double standard of the court system.