MMA Next LW Grand Prix:

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by RMarks, Mar 30, 2007.

1. RMarks

RMarks New Member

source: http://ufcmania.com/2007/03/29/sakakibara-ufc-lightweights-will-fight-in-pride-2007-grand-prix/

UFC fighters will have the opportunity to participate in the PRIDE FC 2007 Lightweight Grand Prix, which is set to begin on May 20, according to a recent interview with Nobuyuki Sakakibara in a Japanese magazine called Kamipro.Here’s a snip from soon-to-be former President and CEO of Dream Stage Entertainment (DSE):
    “In fact, PRIDE Light-Weight Grand Prix on May 20 will be full of top UFC fighters. It will be the best place for deciding who the best lightweight fighter in the world is. This is the first benefit that the ‘union’ brings about.”

Each grand prix comprises 16 fighters who fight in a tournament style until there is only one man left with his arm raised. The first round and quarterfinals are on one day, and then a few months later the remaining winners square off in the semifinals and final.

In 2006, Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic won the heavyweight tournament, defeating Josh Barnett via tapout because of strikes. Earlier that same night, Cro Cop beat Wanderlei Silva via knockout.

Now that PRIDE FC has changed hands, the lightweight grand prix — according to the most recent statements made from UFC President Dana White and the Fertittas — will most likely be at 155 instead of the traditional PRIDE FC 161-pound limit.

On the PRIDE FC side, top fighters such as Hayato Sakurai, Takanori Gomi, Tatsuya Kawajiri, Marcus Aurelio, Gilbert Melendez, Joachim Hansen and Nick Diaz are already being discussed as participants.

For the UFC, it’s doubtful that champion Sean Sherk would throw his hat in the ring. That’s pure speculation, however, based on his injuries and first title defense against Hermes Franca slated for July 7 at UFC 72.

However, one would presume that if this is indeed accurate, all other 155-pounders in the UFC stable are fair game, including, BJ Penn, Joe Stevenson, Melvin Guillard, Roger Huerta, Spencer Fisher, Kenny Florian, Jens Pulver, Tyson Griffin, Frank Edgar, and all the other talented fighters in the loaded division.

(Note: Penn and Pulver are scheduled to fight one another on June 23 at the TUF 5 Finale, which might exclude one or both of them.)

While it’s not quite the “SuperBowl” of MMA that we’ve been promised, integrating UFC fighters into the 2007 PRIDE FC Lightweight Grand Prix would be an awesome idea.

And, a clear sign that even better things are to come.
    ------------------------

Not sure if it's old news, but this forum seems a bit dead lately. :hsd:

2. Kuet

Kuet New Member

i cant wait for other weight class gp's ...provided this is true...
    but it would be cool, very cool to have this happen on a regular basis....
    as well as the superfights, this would be a welcome addition.
    :x:

3. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

They are doing it different this year by having it take place over only two events arent they?

4. GreatDeceiver

GreatDeceiver OT Supporter

Go Muscle Shark!

5. Shrug

Shrug Die in a Kimbo fight

thats crazy to fight more than 1 tough fight in th same night

6. yawgmoth

yawgmoth nine > ten OT Supporter

15 people are going to be pissed off if BJ Penn enters.

7. RMarks

RMarks New Member

No it's not. If you look at it, a boxing match goes 12 rounds or 36 minutes right? 2 full non-title MMA fights would be 30. I don't see a problem fighting twice in one night.

8. Sammo

Sammo New Member

Yeah, but most wrestling matches might only go for 7 minutes total, so it's not necessarily a fair comparison to boxing always

9. RMarks

RMarks New Member

Sure it is. Those guy take 100s of punches to the head and body in a 12 round fight. MMA guys might take 20-30 in both fights

10. Sammo

Sammo New Member

it's about the physical exertion, boxing guys may go longer but they don't have to wrestle at all

11. RMarks

RMarks New Member

I still think that a 12 round boxing match with the hundreds and hundreds of punches thrown/landed causes more damage than 2 MMA fights in one night, even with the wrestling involved. The 2 MMA fights may be more tiring(sp?) but I just see no way there is more damage to the MMA fighter over the Boxer.

12. gtpjim

gtpjim New Member

horrible analogy FFFFFF

13. RMarks

RMarks New Member

Thanks for your valuable input :coolugh:. I think I hear ls2.com calling your name.

14. gtpjim

gtpjim New Member

honestly, I am going to question your knowledge if you think 2 MMA fights in one night is a walk in the park :mamoru:

15. RMarks

RMarks New Member

Yeah, I said it was a "walk in the park" where?