A&P Next Lens

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by 1992 240SX, Jun 5, 2006.

1. 1992 240SX

1992 240SX New Member

Ive had my camera for about a month now (D70S) and I wanted to get a new lens for it because I want something with a better zoom and I guess something that will help me take better shots. I have the 18-70 and I was wondering what you guys would suggest would be the next step up. Im still learning how to use everything on it and Im by no means amazing but I want something new regardless. Any input would be greatly appreciated. And if you were in my position with the same camera, what did you go with and how did you like it, Thanks in advance.

2. Airpoppoff

Airpoppoff Vodka > Racing F1

if you want versatility, and something to replace that lens, Get an 18-200VRII if you can find one.

If your looking to just try out other types, the 50mm 1.8 is always a great pick.

3. Tedrzz

Tedrzz New Member

There really isn't any perfect lens out there. It's all based on what you want to do with it. Bird photographers love their 400mm lenses and always use them, but I would never use it. If you know what you're going to take pictures of, then we can help you decide.

Personally this is how I bought my lenses: 60mm f/2.8 macro, 50mm f/1.4, 70-200 f/2.8 VR

4. Kinks

Kinks Sup. OT Supporter

if you want a cheap, sharp, fast-focussing zoom get an AF 70-210mm f/4-5.6 second hand.

I bought one of those for my D70, to use in conjunction with the kit lens.

Then I bought an 18-200mm VR, and it's fantastic. But they are still quite hard to get your hands on, fairly long waits...

5. 1992 240SX

1992 240SX New Member

Thanks. Ill prob. be going with the 70-210mm first cause I dont really wanna spend so much. I just got the camera like a month ago so Im not looking to spend another 700+ so soon.

6. Derrict

Derrict No, I am not Amish OT Supporter

you'll regret buying such a slow zoom lens. if you can't afford a good lens now, just wait.

7. 1992 240SX

1992 240SX New Member

Is it really that bad? I dont feel like spending 100 now and then more on the other one if its gonna be that annoying. If its really not worth getting then Ill just wait it out.

8. Derrict

Derrict No, I am not Amish OT Supporter

They are $100 for a reason. Soft & terrible af. Soon as the sun starts to go down, you'll really regret getting a lens that slow.

9. Kinks

Kinks Sup. OT Supporter

soft and terrible AF? HAH. those are the 2 strong points of the lens they are sharp and the AF is very quick focussing.

the only issue is the f/5.6 aperture. In the daytime this is no problem but when the sun goes down yes you will have problems. That's where you go "well I only paid $100 and on the plus side I'm not lugging a huge f/2.8 pro lens around everywhere".

With a DSLR you can easily bump up the ISO as the light fades. Everything up to ISO800 is usable on my D70.

I have ZERO regrets buying it, and was considering a pro lens but the cost put me off. Then the 18-200 came along, and that lens is golden. Get the 70-210 now, go shoot some photos and practice your craft. When you've got money upgrade to the 18-200 or get something else entirely.