LGBT NEWS: Elton John to wed his partner...

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by mamoru, Nov 24, 2005.

1. mamoru

mamoru New Member

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Music/11/24/elton.wedding.reut/index.html

Elton 'to wed partner in December'

Thursday, November 24, 2005; Posted: 11:55 a.m. EST (16:55 GMT)

LONDON, England (Reuters) -- British pop star Elton John plans to marry his long term partner David Furnish on December 21, the first day that civil partnerships between gay couples will be possible in England.

In an interview in Attitude magazine, which hits the newsstands on Friday, John said the ceremony would be a small, private affair involving only himself and Furnish and their parents acting as witnesses.

"Out of respect for their (our parents') support, we want to just keep it small -- not to make a ballyhoo of the ceremony," he told the gay lifestyle magazine.

"There will be a party somewhere, but the day will be very low key and we'll take our parents to lunch afterwards."

The Civil Partnership Act allows British same-sex couples to effectively marry when it comes into force on December 5.

Couples who want to wed under the act must post a notification at a registry office first, meaning that the first such ceremonies in England will take place on December 21.

Attitude magazine said in a statement on Thursday that John and Furnish, who have been together for around 12 years, intended to marry on December 21. John's publicist, Gary Farrow, said December 21 was the "probable" date for the ceremony.

John added: "I haven't thought so much about the emotional side of it yet, but I'm sure this is going to be an incredibly emotional day."

The 58-year-old singer, one of the most successful solo artists in pop history with classics including "Your Song" and "Candle in the Wind", previously married Renate Blauel in 1984 but they divorced four years later.

Canadian-born Furnish, 43, welcomed the legislation.

"It is one of the defining issues of our times. And I applaud Britain for embracing the diversity of our society," he said.

John's publicist said earlier this year that one of the main reasons John and Furnish wanted to formalize their relationship was financial, with civil partnerships giving partners tax breaks available to married couples.

Copyright 2005 Reuters. All rights reserved.

2. sholnay

sholnay New Member

are they marrying? or civil unionizing? i dont know from reading this.

either way - I had no idea they were going to allow this - how amazing. I guess we'll be next! We'll just be fashionably late...

3. MapleLeaf

MapleLeaf New Member

It is not a marriage in the church sense, rather a civil marriage (or union as you would refer to them as in the U.S.)

4. sholnay

sholnay New Member

but they can say they're getting married? not civially unioned? or unionized? lol

its still good news - and what i said above was a joke - sadly i dont see the US being next in line for accepting this.

5. RyRy

RyRy Active Member

that's my birthday :wiggle: Now only if I were British I could get married on my birthday!

6. coma

coma New Member

7. mamoru

mamoru New Member

I knew George was next...

I fucking hate him - I met him and mid-convo he snarled his lip at me, as if though he was disgusted - you should have seen my attitude I gave him.

I still listen to Wham! though...and...I used to think he was gorgeous, but he has had WAY too much surgery. And Kenny is a fucking HONKEY PIECE OF SHIT.

Sorry...I had to let that all out :o

8. RyRy

RyRy Active Member

I'm still waiting for my wedding proprosals from Kenny Chesney and Nick Lachey :hs: :wtc:

9. RyRy

RyRy Active Member

:nono: Cowboy hat, ftw!