A&P news article about amateur photogs

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Sympathy, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Sympathy

Sympathy OT Supporter

2. High_Boost

High_Boost New Member

I am no pro (far from it), and I often feel sorry for those who are, as I have seen the impact to their buisness that the article is talking about.

But, their implication that someone off the street /w a $99 p&s can take photos like a pro who has $20K in gear, is ridiculous and everyone here knows that.

There will always be a place for pro photogs, it will just get tougher to make a living with the recent surge of weekend warriors.

What I think is weird, is every time I take the family someplace now it seems like I see more dslr's that p&s's in the crowd..
    I went to a renfest last weekend and the crowd was filled with big gripped cameras /w white lenses or red ring lenses.. it really made me feel underequiped :wtc:

what is it that makes the average family man want to spend thousands on pro/semipro gear to take vacation photos?

3. 1992 240SX

1992 240SX New Member

People always say "your camera takes great pics!". So they assume if they get a pro camera they're gonna become Ansel Adams

4. jackjohnson

jackjohnson simple as something nobody knows OT Supporter

agreed. In fact I think more of my friends have dslr's than P&S's nowadays. If I had a dollar for every one of my friends/friend's friends who bought a dslr and started a "john jacobs photography" facebook fan page with overdone HDRs I'd be set. it's part of the reason why my dslr looks nothing like one– it's hard to get over that stigma.

I've always distanced myself from that crowd with my elitist "I've been shooting with film" attitude. for example I had a friend that saw me shooting film and told me "hey I got a rebel man it takes sweet pics, you really need to go digital". I rolled my eyes and never talked photog with him. Yesterday he posted on facebook about his new Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM lens and some pics and we ended up having a pretty in depth convo about dof, wide open aperture, etc.

It made me realize that photography is just much more accessible nowadays and there really is nothing wrong with that. I'm glad I learned on film but happy to have moved from it.

5. Cesium

Cesium OT Supporter

Professional photography is obviously not a very smart career choice these days. Unless you have mad talent, your chances of making it are slim. People need to realize this.

Instead, the mediocre "pros" will complain about the amateurs taking their work. Stop being mediocre and you should not have this problem. Or perhaps its time for a career change?

This is why I never hope to make money doing photos. Not that I'm in any position to charge money..

6. percent

percent deluded

Fixed that for you

As far as the article, it was pretty limited to the shock photo game. Photography has always been dominated by amateurs, but with a place for pros. A photographer complaining about losing stock photo money to amateurs is like a newspaper writer losing readers to blogs. Yes, it probably happens, but if the pros can't handle competition from amateurs, they don't deserve to be pros.

7. SprayGun

SprayGun Active Member

I don't give a fuck what anybody says, everytime my shutter clicks it's going to go "cha ching" cause I'm getting paid.

8. derekOT

derekOT New Member

the way I see it, it is like sports

how many weekend warriors/amateurs will either pay to play or will take minimal pay to play hockey? ALOT

I bet alot of them would be willing to play in the NHL for free if they had the chance.

But there is a reason why they can't come and play in the NHL: they aren't good enough. Players who are good enough demand and get paid big salaries to do it.

I think it is the same deal in photography: You can't just take a common weekend warrior/amateur to do a high end commercial shoot. The only photographers capable of making an image of that level are photographers who demand a good salary for their work.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  9. Cesium

Cesium OT Supporter

^ good point. It all depends on how you define "pro". If we're talking about the guys that do modeling gigs for Vogue and such, they are probably in the big leagues. There are definitely no amateurs taking their jobs.

10. jshively

jshively OT Supporter

There is always going to be something that separates the amateur from a professional and that is consistency.

Someone at the top of their game whether it is sports, photography, whatever and the professional 99 out of 100 times will knock it dead.

Could the amateur go out and catch a pass from a NFL quarterback yeah probably. However, can that amateur go out every Sunday, run a route that is only known by an obscure name, against a defender who is at a professional caliber, and hit his mark. Yeah maybe 1 out of 100 times. However, watch a professional wide receiver and you will see someone who can do it with the game on the line and high pressure because failure does not mean a long walk back to the huddle with your buddies busting your balls for dropping it. It could be the difference between millions in bonus or unemployment.

Granted there are exceptions such as someone who is pure shit but can market themselves as the second coming however, I would never consider them a professional and every profession is going to be full of them too (prime example is IT I cannot tell you how many liars I have dealt with in the last decade who lie about the dumbest things).

I would consider someone a professional because they can produce amazing results damn near every time not pull a decent picture out of their ass from time to time or someone who was just in the right place at the right time.

11. jshively

jshively OT Supporter

For most people it is easier to cry poor me than for them to look internal and think what is really the cause of the problem.

I keep remembering about ny parents being pure ball busters when I was growing up. For example, when I was cut from basketball my parents did not go cry to the coach about how I was better than the guy who made the team or when I tried to get down on myself they did not coddle me. Instead dad made me call the coach and find out what I could have done better and that is what we focused on for next year.

12. derekOT

derekOT New Member

LOL

Imagine if Sidney Crosby said "fuck it, chances of NHL are soo slim, why bother"

13. bbp

bbp bike watching troll king OT Supporter

I doubt anyone ever told Sidney Crosby he'll never make it.

14. PackingMyBags

PackingMyBags New Member

15. bbp

bbp bike watching troll king OT Supporter

The invention of digital photography has made it WAY easier for average person to go out, buy a DSLR and start a weekend business.

In HS ('95-'99) I took a photography class and remember how much of a pain in the ass it was to have to have to have access to a dark room and having to constantly change film, not to mention having to pay for film. Digital has made it so much more enjoyable, simpler and cheaper for anyone remotely interested in photography to learn and develop their skills.

I think the reason why so many amateur photographers can be relatively successful with their weekend gigs is two things. Good marketing and the general public's lack of photography taste. A lot of people will call any picture that's not out of focus a "great shot". I took a family picture last year and didn't have the right gear so the front row came out slightly out of focus. I apologized for the crappy picture and my mother-in-law said it was a beautiful picture. I was like :ugh: Like many people she assumes that if you have a "big professional looking camera" you will automatically take perfect pictures.

I personally think that if any photographer can be successful through pure marketing then more power to them. If people didn't like their work or prices they wouldn't be making any money. We always hate on all the horrible wedding photographers out there but they're filling a market that none of us want a part of so I can't really hate them for that, we can hate on their shitty pictures though :coold: