newish computer

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Pavester, Apr 6, 2007.

1. Pavester

Pavester New Member

so the parents computer crapped out, Im thinking the mobo went out. What im wanting to do is buy a combo off a fs/t site for $250(mobo, 2gb ram, 7800gt) I already have a 7800gt and parts to make another computer. So im thinking i can just give the parents my computer now(939) and take the 7800gt out of it now. Ahh confusing

2. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

Define "went out". What is it doing when you turn it on?

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

There is far too little information in your post for anybody here to be able to make any recommendation. And you should figure out what broke before you go fixing shit, lest you should fry a swapped part by plugging it into the original problem.

4. Pavester

Pavester New Member

it has onboard video and there is no signal to the monitor at all. all the fans come on cd drives start spinning, completley normal except no signal will go to the monitor.ive unplugged all the cables 3 or 4 times and plugged them back in to no avail.im pretty sure its the mobo or the onboard video.

5. Create

Create :free at last:

Do you have a Windows startup sound? If so, listen for the sound and confirm it's actually booting to windows.

If so, it's the onboard video.

1. Swap monitor/cable to check for a connectivity/monitor problem
    2. Plug in cheapo PCI video card, boot (needs to hit windows desktop as administrator, then needs several <enter> keys, a few minutes, then reboot
    3. BIOS jumper reset, boot (needs to hit windows desktop as administrator, then needs several <enter> keys, a few minutes, then reboot

If this doesn't work it could still be that the BIOS is defaulting boot to onboard video, which may be blown, and we can't seee the screen to change the setting to PCI. I'd look in my user manual, figure out the exact keypresses to change the BIOS setting, do them, pray quickly, then boot.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2007
  6. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

Take the RAM out and reseat it. Also Take out the BIOS battery for a minute to reset the board and see what happens.

7. Pavester

Pavester New Member

tried the bios battery just now and still didnt work. and tried the ram last night and didnt work either.

8. deusexaethera

Someone asked whether the computer appears to boot up properly, minus the video. You haven't answered yet. If it's just the onboard video, a $20 video card can fix the problem, but if it doesn't try to load Windows (you can tell from the way the HDD light flashes), then it really is shot to hell.

9. Pavester

Pavester New Member

yea i plugged in my 7800gt and still isnt working, i think when my dad was putting in a new 512 stick of ram last night he shocked the motherboard :uh:

10. Create

Create :free at last:

Well, I think you're a fucking moron for not answering my question even when someone else just repeated it.

GL with your trash.

11. deusexaethera

DOES THE COMPUTER BOOT UP AT ALL?

Jesus.