Newegg shopping list - upgrade

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by awns729, Dec 23, 2008.

1. awns729

awns729 New Member

2. negative zero

negative zero New Member

AMD :hsugh:

I would go Intel. Either way, you might want to get a motherboard.

3. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

several dots . . .

Also, if you plan on doing much gaming it'd probably be worth it to check out the ATI 4850 or 4870 GPUs. If not much gaming don't worry about it.

4. CrazyInteg

CrazyInteg Honda-Acura.net OG

What's the hotness for AM2 motherboards? I guess you want something that's compatible with AM3. 790FX? GeForce 8300?

I'm looking at buying a similar system but I'm confused about the motherboard. I would be using the onboard graphics for now.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  5. awns729

awns729 New Member

Already have a Gigabyte GA-m55sli-s4. I'm just doing a processor upgrade to a fully functional machine.

Unfortunately, as much as I want to, there's no point in me upgrading now and going back to college till May, so any upgrades will have to wait until then. My MoBo also doesn't support AM2+, so Phenoms are out of the question. If I was going to upgrade the MoBo, I might as well get faster ram and everything too, so I don't think I'll do that yet. But in the meantime, this 3500+ is really slow, and I want to be able to play GTA4 on this computer for the next month that I'm home.

Nah, I have a 6800 GT right now. The only reason I picked that one out is because it's cheap and will let me play GTA4 on hopefully decent settings. Not a big gamer so I really just want something $70-80

Yeah, if I was getting an AMD system, I'd make sure to get a socket AM2+ that would be getting BIOS updates to support AM3.