Newegg Shopping List (New Proc, Ram, ExtHDD, Capture Card, Printer) -Recommendations!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by awns729, Aug 12, 2008.

1. awns729

awns729 New Member

Edit: just to clarify, these are upgrades for my computer, i already have a fully built desktop

Okay, so I need a bunch of stuff. I'm going to start with the stuff I'm more sure about than not and work my way down...

1) It's a socket AM2 system. I have a c2d 2.0ghz laptop, and I don't think I want to spend the time or money to go to Intel for the desktop. I know they're better now, but to me it's not worth the money. So I'm 99.9% sure I'm just going to buy a socket AM2 X2 processor. Right now I have an Ath64 3500+, and this computer is for heavy web browsing/multitasking/some gaming. I think a fast X2 will last me a good while. Here's what I've narrowed it down to. If you guys (for any of this list) have other suggestions that I have missed, feel free to add them.

linkypoo to newegg comparison

Choice #1: AMD Ath64 X2 5400+ Brisbane 2.8ghz 2x512 L2 Cache 65W BLACK EDITION - $87
    Choice #2: AMD Ath64 5000+ Brisbane 2.6ghz 2x512 L2 Cache 65W BLACK EDITION - $75
    Choice #3 - AMD Ath64 6000+ Windsor 3.0ghz 2x1 L2 Cache 125W - $113

How much does the increase in cache size (look at choice 3) make? For occassional gaming, is it worth the price to go with choice 3? Which would you go with? If one of the Black Editions, please recommend me a HSF!

2) Ram... I have 2x512 OCZ Platinum CAS 4. I'm going to get 2x1GB more. I found this for really cheap (and acutally it was faulty, so I think I'll just exchange it for the same thing. Unless it would be better to buy a different brand with 5 eggs like(this has 4)?
    OCZ Platinm Rev 2 2x1GB DDR2 800 Dual Channel - $50-$30 rebate = $20
    linky
    or any of these for a few bucks more. the first is the most similar to the ram i haev, if that matters?

3) External HDD. These four are what I narrowed it down to. I'm thinking the Western Digital, becuase I already own teh 320GB model, which has a proprietary power connection, and it would be good to have an extra, but its realllllly not a big deal. Unless the other models are significantly better, in which case I'll go with them. This is pretty much for media storage.

*Need the most help here*
    4) Capture Card. I don't know where to begin, there's so many on Newegg. I need to convert all my home movies on HI8 tapes and VHS to digital files or straight to DVD is best. I need them to lose very little to no quality from the conversion as the quality isn't great to begin with. I don't really plan on watching TV with this computer any time soon, so support for high def channels or anything isn't a big deal. I guess just needs to have RCA and S-Vid inputs to hook up the camcorder and VCR, and if there's perhaps a VGA/DVI input, that'd just be cool to have to hook up computers, but not worth paying more than $25 more to me.

5) Printer. I don't know about you, but I'm sick and tired of my inkjets not working. I want ONE printer for the household that just WORKS. I want it to work when my computers are on or off, so networked is best. Wireless is even better, so let me know what you think about these. If there are any good ones (even if they're not wireless) that I missed, let me know.

Thanks a lot. I'm not the most knowledgeable about this stuff, so any advice would be great.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2008
  2. awns729

awns729 New Member

srsly, no one has any advice on any components? not even gonna give me shit for amd? come onnnnnnn!

3. gravity

gravity New Member

Are you going to Overclock? If so then the 5400+
    No overclock? the 6000+
    -------------------------------------------
    Ram is pretty open to change, Same pin type obviously, look into same brand.
    Must be external? Internal is faster, never buy less than 500Gb anymore
    I just download torrent all of my VHS, cause I'm lazy that way. not to sure.
    Spend $100 on a decent printer, it won't let you down.
    You are going to buy PSU, Mobo, all other nec. stuff correct?

4. awns729

awns729 New Member

I just want it to be fast, I don't care that much for OCing, but if it saves me some money and gives me some speed, I might, which I realize if I have to buy a HSF for the 5400, it won't save me any money, and speed will be fast enough for me in either case. So yea, I don't care for OCing that much. I'll go with the 6000. Would power consumption be much different you think?

Yes, in case my computer dies, my parents need to be able to access their stuff on other computers by transferring the hard drive, so has to be external. I'm thinking 500gb is a good size also, yeah.

Yeah, I'm sick of printers that don't work, so definitely going with laser.

I already have a working desktop, but it's getting old. i'm keeping the other components and just upgrading the proc and ram. it's an ath64 3500, gigabyte nforce4 mobo, 2x512ocz ram DDR800 cas 4, 2x250gb WD hdd raid 0, xfx 6800 gpu, antec psu 500W, wd elements 320gb external for backup, nzxt lexa case wiht a crapload of fans