GUN Newbies guide to getting started in competitive shooting?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Accord, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Accord

Accord New Member

So how exactly does someone get started in competitive pistol/rifle shooting? I see Bushmaster makes everal competition level AR-15's and every company that makes 1911's has competition level versions of their 1911's.

What are the different shooting classes you can enter into?

How do you even get started in this?

Are the shooting competitions sanctioned by the NRA or is there a certain governing body that everyone belongs to? I did some google searches and found IFMBA IAFMA IAFMA IGJND NFAAKR and a thousand different competitive shooting organizations and governing bodies, and it's impossible to know which ones I should even be looking at.

Are these events ran at a club level where I just need to find a local gun club and they have local competitions?

How do I know which rifle or pistol to buy? I don't want to buy some nice AR-15 or 1911 only to find out I can't use it in a certain class or division that I want to compete in.

Is there some newbies guide or FAQ I can read?

Also, i'll be shipping off to Marine Corps bootcamp this summer and once I get to my permanent duty station I definitely want to get involved with some sort of shooting team.

I've got some cash burning a whole in my pocket, i'm looking for a new hobby, and i've always been intrigued by competitive shooting. I'm only 20 though so I won't be able to buy a pistol, and i'll be turning 21 during boot camp so for right now, i'd only be able to start off with rifle competitions.

2. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

3. one66stang

one66stang Haters.com

Spend a few week ends at the range or go to some Matches in your area. Just go and watch and ask questions. Most ranges will have a BB posted with all the match times and dates.

MOST people will take the time to explain the match and answer your questions. Just try and make your questions good one. Meaning don't just hound the fuck out of a bench rest shooter while he is on the bench watching the wind.