Newbie with a question: What to do after big weight loss?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by the sad one, Jun 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the sad one

the sad one New Member

Hey everyone! Extreme lurker here - I finally decided to post because I'm kinda stuck on something, and the advice here has always been helpful for me. Been though the stickies.

Cliffs on me: I'm a chick, 5'10, between 147-150 lbs., work out regularly doing both cardio (long distance running and some HIIT mixed in) and weight training five or six times a week. I eat clean. Over the past few years, I've lost 200 pounds (yes, I was HUGE before ... hence the emo screen name I made a long time ago) on my own by totally changing my life in every way. No surgery or eating disorders, just a lot of hard work and focus.

Despite some issues with a little loose skin, which I might look into surgery for, I am pretty happy with my size now. I would like to put on some more muscle though, since I am starting to look too skinny, especially in my upper body. But, having been so freaking obese for most of my life, I am paranoid about putting on too much fat at the same time.

I know you guys bulk and then cut to build muscle and then burn off the fat ... would you recommend the same for someone with my goals? I'd just like to gain a bit more muscle and then maintain - but I never learned how to maintain. What would you recommend as the best way to minimize the amount of fat I will gain while trying to add muscle? Is that even possible? Any advice appreciated, thanks!

:wavey:

2. GuOD

GuOD mcflurry diet

3. the sad one

the sad one New Member

Told ya I'm a lurker! I always just skim OT without posting. But I like F&N.

Tips?

4. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

progress pics? :eek4:

5. turbage

turbage New Member

Squats an milk!

Oh, and grats on dropping 200lbs...thats pretty crazy. Subway diet?

6. Chris3G

Chris3G Bullshark Testosterone

im kind of curious what your other post in the last 3 years was about?

7. the sad one

the sad one New Member

Thanks! :)

I didn't follow any special diet or Subway BS ... I just learned a lot about nutrition and starting eating clean, and stopped stuffing myself full of garbage. No big secret there, but you'd be amazed how easy it is to just be lazy and fat and east fast food all the time.

I will see what I can find to post for pics in the future.

8. the sad one

the sad one New Member

Me too ... I thought for sure this would be my first, but then it said "2" and I was like, wtf. No clue.

9. ralyks

ralyks New Member

Less cardio more weight training?

Congrats on the loss.

10. ralyks

ralyks New Member

Probably a drunken post some time in the distant past :rofl:

11. the sad one

the sad one New Member

I think that would do it. I have a goal of running a marathon this fall (just did my first 1/2 marathon two weeks ago) so I am currently getting a lot of cardio in by training for that. Maybe I should just wait until that's over and then back off the cardio and increase my lifting.

I'm just getting tired of people warning me that I'm getting too thin. I do see it too, though. I think I need to eat more, but I am having some issues there since I still have so much fear of being fat ... it's hard to adjust. I know I need to suck it up and get over that though. Workin' on it.

12. kamiraa

kamiraa OT Supporter

progress pics for sure!! Amazing job!!!!!

13. jmezz

jmezz layin in bed stretchin my pumped quads for hours

Pic time hurry up I have my dick out and everything. :mad:

14. antihero

antihero OT Supporter

as a girl, you don't need to follow a bulk and cut cycle. That is for guys who are looking for maximum mass. Just lift weights, eat real food at least 4 times a day with a protein emphasis and you will be fine.

Give us some info about your current diet.

15. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

Yes pics, that is amazing! Congrats! You don't see many people willing to make the transformation you did and it's amazing. Kudos!

As far as putting on muscle... since you seem to know enough about nutrition. Just eat at maintenance while you are doing your gym regimen and make sure you get enough protein. You should be good on 120g or so a day or maybe less... I'm just guesstimating though.

Basically to maintain, you just keep track of your calories and weight and slowly up the calories till you start gaining a little bit of weight, then lower it till it stops. Once you find your base amount just eat near that and you should be okay. Best of luck!

16. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

to echo everyone else, protein protein protein

and, i guess, more weight training... go week-by-week...

eat a set # of calories daily for a week and see if you gain/lose weight, then adjust accordingly... you are tracking calories, yes?

EDIT: and holy shit, congrats on the weight loss

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.