Newbie wants to start a website

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by oakback, Sep 25, 2008.

1. oakback

oakback New Member

A buddy of mine and I are starting a business, so naturally we would want a website for it. I've got someone designing a site for me, but I'm supposed to secure the domain name.

There's just so much info on this topic, I'm not sure where to start. I did a name search on godaddy.com, found something that will work, and it says it starts at $9.99/yr. Is this what I should do?

2. 7960

7960 New Member

no idea, one thing, though, MAKE SURE YOU ACTUALLY OWN THE NAME.

my in-law started a consulting company and went to some registrar and got her domain name through them. a year later they sent her a message saying someone offered them more for the name and they sold it to the other guy. she went back through the contract and found that they owned the name and she was "renting" it from them (not exactly "renting" but I forgot the term they used).

long story short, the other guy now owns the name.

3. oakback

oakback New Member

Thanks for the tip, I wouldn't have thought of that.

4. 7960

7960 New Member

yeah, she was fucking pissed. she had a 3-letter domain (from way back when you could get one) and apparently the hosting company that owned it got an offer they couldn't refuse.

what really pissed her off was that she'd been offered in the tens-of-thousands of dollars range for it and turned it down because she had name recognition with it.

5. fortinet

fortinet OT Supporter

If you buy the domain through GoDaddy, you will own the domain name. The only thing I hate about it GoDaddy is that they charge extra to hide your domain information.

For example, if you look up a random domain (http://who.is/whois-com/ip-address/bling.com/) you can see that all the domain owners information is visible. Other than that, they're not a bad registrar, and you shouldn't have any problems really.

6. oakback

oakback New Member

I don't mind, this is going to be a business that operates face-to-face, with consultations and such. The web site is mainly for showing people what we have, what we do, pics of past events, and contact info; that sort of thing.