WEB Newbie to phpBB

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Robb, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Robb

Robb Guest

Basically im setting up a forum for my community of ~50,000 people. Hoping to get around ~500-1000 users.

Anyways, I installed phpbb 2.0.22, there are a few small things i would like to change:
    1. Addition of subforums, is there a simple way to do this? I need a walk through if possible.

2. Is there a way to view the last 10 topics posted, as well as new replies when a user logs in.

3. How do I set up a simple chatroom for the board, and make a link to it on the frontpage?

Thanks guys, and I am quite new at this, so a very simple walkthrough would be awesome :x:

2. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

1) phpBB cannot do sub-forums like Vbulletin can atleast not the 2.0.22 that I can remember.

2) Theres a modification for this you'll have to add it in.

3) Same as #2 theres a modification for this.

I dont recommmend phpBB to anyone unless they need something for a quickie, small board or something to toy with. Spammers use google to search for phpbb boards and mass register which even with a modification added to the board doesn't stop spammers. With that many users I would invest in Vbulletin. phpBB can be a memory problem for any server with more then a couple thousand members or 200+ users online at a time.

3. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

I'll second the vBulletin thing. It's an excellent piece of software, and I've been using it for years. It may seem a bit pricey, but when you consider in the massive amount of addons and modifications you can find at vbulletin.org, and the overall quality of both those and the forum software itself, it's a steal.

4. Suazo

Suazo New Member

Phpbb sucks...i agree with DigiCrime..

5. Robb

Robb Guest

I definately don't have the resources to purchase a license right now, so phpbb is going to have to suffice, back to my questions...

6. thomor25

thomor25 I make money online....

www.phpbbhack.org is your friend

Also read the tutorials on phpbb.com they will help you

7. Robb

Robb Guest

link doesnt work

8. thomor25

thomor25 I make money online....

9. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

There's a pretty big cartegories heirarchy mod by Neils I believe, it's a big involved mod and it breaks other mods ... you can use that if ya want.

There's a bunch of ways to do #2 ... just depends on how you want the data presented. I did see one board, not PHPBB based but that doesn't matter, it's all the same shit, they had a pop up after you logged in that showed topics since your last visit, hot topics, topics you were watching, etc. You might want to look into a portal system, I run MX on both my sites, pretty easy to setup, breeze to admin ...

#3 ... There are plenty of 'chat room' mods, I have a ajax'd shout box that's similar to what you want, with some work it could be very chat roomish ...

10. Robb

Robb Guest

how exactly do i install the hacks that i dl from phpbbhacks.com?

11. Justin636

Justin636 Active Member

ill give a big :bigthumb: to vbulletin as well. Excellent piece of software and a lot of optional addons and tweaks.

If you arent interested in the addons and tweaks, there are versions of VB available, uhm... yeah. :hsugh:

12. Justin636

Justin636 Active Member

If they don't give you instructions on the page that you dled it from, then I have no clue. Never used phpbb.

13. Justin636

Justin636 Active Member

torrent :o

14. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

Check out something called EZ-MOD or the zip files should have a txt file that tells you what files to edit and which lines to replace /add... if you need help you can IM me on Aim or Yahoo ...

15. Robb

Robb Guest

Hopefully the last issue for a while---

I need a simple login at the top of the page, and i have a plain vanilla installation and the login at the bottom of the page doesnt work, any ideas?

16. wack0

wack0 New Member

this is wrong. there is a really good mod that asks a human question during registration. these work great at stopping bots. image verification can be defeated because bots can now download the images and decode them.

17. Aslan

Aslan My avatar is the new hotness... yours... Old and b

+1

18. Aslan

Aslan My avatar is the new hotness... yours... Old and b

This has worked for me for months...
    second mod that worked well too, is forcing people to post x number of comments or be members for x number of days before they may include links in their posts.

that way, even if they spam, no benefit, no links. and minor effort to delete.

Also there is a mod to allow you to delete a member directly from the membership list page. a little x shows up and it is a huge HUGE time saver.